I went into this post practically kicking and screaming today. Let’s be honest- sometimes the words flow, other times it’s a task just to get myself to sit in the chair long enough to post a few words and photos.
This whiny, kicking and screaming, can’t-even-stand-myself feeling seems to be a Labor Day holiday signature of mine. See, the holiday represents the end of summer. I’ve always had enormous jubilation for Memorial Day, the unofficial kick off of summer, and great disdain for it’s holiday evil doppelganger- Labor Day. When I was a kid, we would always have to return to school the Tuesday after Labor Day. The end of summer and the return to school always seemed like a great tragedy to me. I’m talking Hamlet level tragedy.
It would seem that the feelings of that 9 year old, who can’t come to terms with her new backpack and Trapper Keeper have followed me to adulthood. I still don’t like Labor Day. I still have a hard time coming to terms with the end of summer. But now I get to add alcohol to the mix.
My Oh My. Cucumber Raspberry Vodka Sparklers.
I hope you all have a lovely Labor Day weekend. Be safe. Be sound. Don’t kick or scream. That doesn’t help anything. Trust me, I’ve tried that approach for the last 27 years.
Cucumber Raspberry Vodka Sparklers
makes 4 cocktails. do share.
inspired by Martha Stewart
- 2 English cucumbers
- Small ice cubes
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 12 fresh raspberries, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) vodka
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Cointreau
- 1 large bottled sparkling water (this recipe is not terribly sweet, so you can use lemon lime soda if you’d like more sweetness)
- Cut 4 thin spears from 1 cucumber, and reserve for garnish. Peel remaining cucumbers, and quarter them lengthwise. Scrape out seeds with a spoon, and discard. Coarsely chop cucumbers, then puree in a food processor until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add mint, sugar, raspberries and lime juice, and shake. Add 3/4 cup cucumber juice, the vodka, and Cointreau, and shake. Strain into 4 glasses filled with ice. Finish with a splash of sparkling water in each glass and stir. Garnish each cocktail with a cucumber spear.