Sourdough Starter Day 4 and Day 5
We’re still talking sourdough starter!
Mine seems to be happy and growing. It might almost be time to preheat the griddle for those pancakes.
Jump on over and see the results of days of flour, water and bacteria.
Here’s a step by step reminder of the Sourdough Starter Dump and Feed Project.
1. Stir your starter. This might mean stirring the hooch (the yellowish liquid layer) back into your starter.
2. Remove one cup of starter and either use it in a recipe, or if your starter is new, discard.
3. Add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water to your remaining starter. (I accidentally added a cup of both flour and water. I wasn’t thinking straight, but I don’t think it’s a big deal.)
4. Stir. (I usually stir until most of the lumps are gone, but I don’t have the patience to get all the lumps out of my starter. It still seems to be happy.)
5. Put the lid back on your starter, making sure to leave the lid ajar to let some air in.
Are you having trouble with pesky fruit flies trying to get at your starter!? Oh no! You might try draping a clean, thin dish towel over your jar, over the entire jar, with the lid underneath the towel ajar. Does anyone have any better ideas?