Sunday seems like a good day for a little of this, and a little of that. You know… lingering in pajamas, lot of coffee, hopefully a doughnut, a long walk, and at least two hours on the couch. I wish that for you. Especially the doughnut.
Here are a few things on the tip of my tongue these days.
• Clementine and Red Wine Spritzers! Don’t wrinkle your nose. This is really good news for our summer cocktailing.
• Last time I donated blood I fainted. It’s a long story that mostly involves seeing someone else faint. Who knew that fainting could be so contagious? Still though, I’ve watched enough old episodes of ER to know that little bags of blood are super important to people who need little bags of blood. Stat!
Donation is a big deal to me. Fainting or not. Three years ago I joined Be The Match, the bone marrow donation registry. It’s a painless and free sign-up situation that only involves a mouth swab. (I just said mouth swab on my blog!). Should I ever be called to donate my bone marrow, I’d only ask that no one faint in my vicinity. I’d be a goner.
• Dine x Design is my favorite new site on the Internet. It’s the intersection of pretty pretty food and mega inspired design. This Spring Creme de Violette Cocktail makes my brain sparkle. I’ll surely be making this soon.
• There’s a new app on the scene! Of course there is. Meet: Steller. Steller is like Instagram for storytellers. Instead of sharing a single picture, you can create a book of photos to flip through, combining photos, videos, and text. There’s a major amount of customization. The designs feel clean, simple, and super intuitive. It’s like making your very own Kinfolk magazine… on your phone, for the Internet. Does that makes sense? Here’s a more helpful review.
• I finally read this essay from the late David Foster Wallace: Consider the Lobster. It’s what happens when a brilliant thinker visits Maine’s largest lobster festival. Originally published in Gourmet Magazine, August 2004. I think I’m tempering myself to read Infinite Jest. It’s working.
• I bought this Nixon Watch with gold and molasses tones. It was a treat-yo-self moment.
• I’m hosting my first party in New Orleans next weekend! Scream it with me now…. DERBY PARTY! In preparation, I’ve found an ice crusher and I’m working on the perfect Mint Julep. I’m working on a vinegar-y potato salad with lots of olives and parsley. There’s got to be a Derby Pie inspired cupcake. And I’m ordering fried chicken from a place called Chicken Sue’s… which sounds absolutely perfect. Derby Party recipes coming next week!
Enjoy your Sunday![adthrive_ad id='JoytheBaker_Below_Post_300x250' center='1']