just realized something essential to my next week. Um… this is my first Thanksgiving! This is the first year, of my 33 years in the world, that I’m hosting my first totally-grown, matching-casserole-dishes, not-paperplate, make-all-the-pies THANKSGIVING at my New Orleans apartment with aaallll of my family.
I’m pretty sure this is a big deal.
I need a plan. I really need a plan.
Nervously tapping my foot, biting my nails, and drinking toooooo much coffee is not a plan, right? It’s the opposite of a plan.
I’m putting together a meal that is simple, casual, non-traditional, and filled with sides and pies. I’m not cooking a turkey… which either makes me THE WORST person, or a genius. Probably the worst, but even knowing that, I’m still not doing it. We’re going to enjoy a giant pot of gumbo and aaalll of the Thanksgiving sides, including these fluffy and earthy mashed potatoes.
The plan is coming together (and also includes a triple batch of this Mac and Cheese).
Being bigtime thankful is also part of the plan. Thankful for New Orleans, and visiting family, and warm gumbo, and mashed potatoes with roasted mushrooms. Thankful for all of the good and the gnarly and everything in between.
The Internet wants us to succeed next week:
• I’m definitely into group games… unless I have to act something out and hope people guess it: 10 Thanksgiving Games To Make The Holiday Fun For Everyone
• These Molasses Spice Cookies are developing quite the reputation here in New Orleans. I also love Jessica’s Thanksgiving Dos and Don’ts.
• I’m not making a turkey BUT I am ordering aaallll of the gumbo from Cochon Butcher.
• Dijon Maple Green Beans sound like juuust the ticket. They also have bacon and feta!
• Deb’s Pretzel Parker House Rolls! Just pretzel everything, thanks!
• Tracy’s Creamed Spinach should be an everyday thing, don’t you think?