ometimes I can’t believe the fun we get to have here! All the biscuits, all the cookies, and all in the name of work!
Today we’re talking Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread! It’s the last in our 4-challenge King Arthur Flour Baking Bootcamp!
First we made Triple Berry Cinnamon Swirl Bread, a braided bread stuffed with loads of fresh berries, cinnamon and butter.
We made Apple Pie Biscuits with sweet fall apples and tender biscuit dough.
This Winter we made Gruyère and Green Olive Loaves, big salty, satisfying and cheesy loaves.
Now! Hearty loaves of honey, oat, and wheat!
These oatmeal studded loaves bake up light and golden! Perfect for slicing thick and topping with softened butter, ripe avocado, or fruity jam.
As we move through January, I find myself craving staples… simple foods that I can slather in butter for warmth and comfort.
Here’s what we’re going to need:
1 • King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour. A sweeter and more mild whole wheat flour. Perfect for adding whole wheat goodness without being too dense.
2 • I use this King Arthur Flour Bench Knife just about everyday in my kitchen. It’s perfect for scraping little dough bits from the countertop… something a sponge just pitifully attacks. You might also use the bench knife to slice though the center of the rolled dough. It’s sharp too! I love this tool!
3 • Kitchen fashion is important to me. Hedley & Bennett understands my needs for a functional, durable, totally chic apron. Not too frilly. I always want to be more badass than 50’s housewife-y in the kitchen.
4 • Lovely and durable kitchen towels for resting our dough from LoomedNOLA.
5 • Having Colorful Mixing Bowls is the kitchen equivalent of having a great black dress in your closet. Necessary treat.
6 • Loaf pans for loaves of bread and pound cakes.
7 • These wooden spoons just get better with time.
8 • Is it normal to have a completely mismatched set of Measuring Cups, or should I just treat myself to a matching set like this? Don’t answer that…
9 • The Pyrex glass measuring cup. A forever kitchen classic.
10 • Same goes for the Measuring Spoons… it’s nice to have a full matching set.
Let’s get baking! We’re in this together. Here are some important details!
• All of these step-by-step photographs in the post were done by the incomparable Jon Melendez.
• Baking 101: The Difference Between Baking Flours for all the nitty-gritty on bran and germ and protein content.
• King Arthur Flour’s Baker’s Hotline is a fantastic resource for curious home bakers to discuss your fears, concerns and eventual successes. Give them a ring! It’s magic. 1-855-371-2253
Four Flours + Four Recipes Challenges + One Instagram #bakingbootcamp + Four Awesome Sets of Prizes!
The idea is simple!
• Make the Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread and take a picture of your creation!
• Follow @joythebaker and @kingarthurflour on Instagram
• Photograph your beautiful bread and post to Instagram with the hashtag #bakingbootcamp
• When you submit a photo, you’ll be entered to win a one year supply of King Arthur Flour and a Baking Essentials box valued at $250!! Official rules and details can be found here.
By entering the challenge you’ll also have amazing loaves in your kitchen, so… you really can’t lose.