These days, the mornings are as dark as the nights and the air has just a faint mention of crisp Autumn. I’m almost willing to believe that the stifling New Orleans heat won’t actually last forever. Change is stirring. Slowly, but stirring. I had a nice visit this week to LoomedNOLA where they have the most lovely and luxurious hand-woven Turkish linens. I found a soft new scarf. I’m trying to will cool air with purchasing power.
The week, as always, is full of big and small. I hope you have coffee and a huge pastry in hand for Sunday reading:
• The most altruistic among us have larger brains and a more keen sense of others in distress. Let’s talk about extreme altruists. Brains of kidney donors seem build for generosity.
• No matter the size of our altruistic brains, I think Be The Match is a great way to give.
• Not just other people’s problems: Why The World Should Actually Care About Ebola.
• Seven days inside the life and death world of Syria’s first responders – the last hope for civilians caught in the chaos: Whoever Saves a Life.
• Some Things You Can Do In Your Sleep, Literally. Our brains are pretty sharp even in their sleep-state. I’d also like to volunteer myself to be a part of a sleep study. How weird and cool would that be!?
• Presidential coffee preferences are a state secret. I’m guessing that President Obama drinks his coffee with cream and sugar. Or sugar and almond milk if Michelle is getting on his case.
• Taking the time to turn off all the pings and dings to read some fiction. It’s called Slow Reading… and it’s weird that we even have to give a special title to reading a book. I highly recommend David Gilbert’s & Sons. It’s a wondrous read.
• Feeling particularly happy, accomplished, and confident? Stay away from the Internet. According to everything on the Internet: You’re Doing It Wrong. SIGH.
• Pale Pink Autumn Coat. Why not?
• All the reasons that Denise Huxtable from The Cosby Show was a fashion icon for real.
• Let’s be people who make Whole Wheat English Muffins. Perfect as the weather cools down.
Have a most happy Sunday!
I love you, buh-bye.