[Y]ou know my tricks. You know the games I play around here. The more browned butter, sea salt, and chopped pistachios, the better! It’s just that… pistachios are the best, browned butter reigns supreme, and I think good sea salt is my secret weapon in my baking pantry. I’m not wrong.
We’re keeping it simple by shoving all of the good things into one pan of rice krispie treats. Fancy rice krispie treats are totally my go-to party trick. They never disappoint. Also consider Salty and Malty Rice Krispie Treats. So much win.
I’m traveling these next few weeks to meet you and celebrate the release of my cookbook Homemade Decadence. I’m in Philadelphia Tuesday 10/21 and you should totally come say hi! Keep in mind that for some reason I’ve been listening to the Once soundtrack nonstop for the past week, so… just so you know where I’m at and that I’m weird. Ps. Do you know how easy it is to cry to the Once soundtrack? Like crazy easy. I don’t know what’s going on with me. I really am in a happy place, I promise.
I’ve said too much.
This is how rice krispie treats go: mega marshmallows + butter + salt + the krispie element + fancy nuts and chocolate.
Marshmallows are melted with the butter. Pistachios are coarsely chopped and added to the rice cereal along with the gooey melted marshmallow situation.
Pressed into a 9×13-inch pan. I always make a double batch for of the treats for a pan. I like the treats thick. (I almost made that a joke about how I like my men… aren’t you glad I didn’t?)
Dipped in chocolate because that’s just how we do things. Let’s enjoy this indulgent simplicity (while we cry a little bit to the Once soundtrack… I’m sorry.)Print
- 12 ounces (1 box) rice krispie cold cereal
- 16 ounce bag large marshmallows
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- heaping 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped shelled pistachios
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Place the rice krispies in a very large bowl. Set aside.
- Butter a 9×13-inch pan. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt together the marshmallows and butter. Stir as the mixture melts until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the rice krispies. Sprinkle in most of the salt. Stir until all of the cereal is coated in marshmallow. Add most of the chopped pistachios.
- To make pressing the mixture into the prepared pan easier, grease your wooden spoon (even if it’s covered in sticky rice krispie treats) with butter.
- Press into the pan. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pistachios and use your fingers to press them into the treats.
- Allow treats to rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before slicing. This will make the treats easier to slice and handle.
- Melt together chocolate and coconut oil. Dip the corner of each treat into the chocolate and allow to rest on a parchment lined baking sheet until set. Speed the process up by chilling the treats in the refrigerator until set.
- Wrap individually, share, and enjoy!