[B]loggers can be pretty predictable. Since it’s December, you can count on most of us writing about tinsel and cookie swaps, peppermint coated this, mulled wine that… all the pine, all the Santa hats, all the sugar spice and nice.
Come January we’ll all be talking about salads and smoothies. I don’t think we’re allowed to talk about fudge in January. I think that’s actually against the law.
I have to shake loose from the holidays for a moment. I mean… can we just sit at the kitchen counter and eat quesadillas for a while and not think about Winter cookies and holiday shopping? That would be cool.
Let’s do that.
Ps. The fact that these Mushroom and Kale Quesadillas are topped with sriracha makes them aaalllmost Christmas themed. See how these holidays sneak in to stay? Dang.
Quesadillas are pretty close to rocket science so I’m going to need you to pay attention here.
Mushroom are sliced, on the thin side of thick if that makes sense.
Kale is chopped and jalapeño is de-seeded and hands are washed. Don’t you dare forget to was your hands. Jalapeños linger.
Mushrooms are sautéed until they release their moisture and begin to brown and caramelize. It’s a really cathartic process.
Kale and jalapeño are added to the mostly caramelized mushrooms. The whole madness gets salt and pepper and is cooked until mellow. That’s a technical term.
Flour tortilla + goat cheese + kale mushroom filling + more goat cheese.
Each quesadilla is topped with another tortilla and fried up.
Earthy green flavors, melty goat cheese and crisp tortillas. I love the spice and the creaminess. It’s exactly everything delicious! Happy Holidays and such.
Mushroom Kale and Goat Cheese Quesadillas
Earthy and green cheesy quesadillas with spicy sriracha and cream.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 handfuls coarsely chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and sliced thin
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 4 flour tortillas
- canola oil for frying
- sour cream for topping
- sriracha for topping
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan until hot. Add mushrooms and saute until softened. The mushrooms will release a lot of their water as they cook. That’s right! Continue to cook the mushrooms over medium heat. Add a bit of salt and pepper and stir occasionally.
- Saute until well browned.
- Add the chopped kale and jalapeño to the mushrooms and saute until the kale is softened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Sprinkle goat cheese crumbles across two tortillas.
- Divide the mushroom filing between the two tortillas and sprinkle with more goat cheese.
- Top with the remaining two tortillas.
- Heat a bit of oil in a medium skillet. Add one quesadilla and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side. Cook the second quesadilla in the same way.
- Remove from the skilled. Slice into wedges. serve with sour cream and sriracha. Enjoy!