Can I please not talk about Cecil the Lion? I’ll be honest… I don’t really know what’s going on, and I don’t want to know. Why are people still hunting lions?
I hope this summer Sunday finds you well caffeinated and mellowing out… not having a full on / ultra mega / whoa what the heck weekend panic like I’ve had. It’s the first of another month and all of the tasks of the hour, day, month, and year tend to pile up in my brain. I’m probably the only person this happens to. Lucky you, right?
Thankfully, the sun keeps shining, the moon waxes and wanes, and the waves keep crashing. Panics be damned.
Here are some of the words of the week, minus the lion.
• “President Obama just became the first sitting president to travel from the White House to the big house and visit a federal prison to make the case (one that seems to have some bipartisan agreement) that it’s time to take a hard look at the hard time the American justice system serves out to thousands of non-violent drug offenders.” Cool Hand Barry.
• Related: From a first arrest to a life sentence.
• We’re coming up on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. How a low-level drug dealer rescued a lot of people during Hurricane Katrina.
• How brand new words are spreading across the nation. What does it mean if I don’t know most of the words on this list? I live on Mars? On fleek. So help us God.
• 6 Amazing Female Athletes That Deserve To Be Famous, Like Yesterday. Pitcher Virne Jackie Mitchell? Go on with your bad self.
• What if feels like to go viral. Please no.
• Necessary. How to meditate anywhere. I call this spacing out.
• The $30 Dinner Party. Yes, we’re adding gin to the Cucumber Mint Water. Blowing the budget on gin.
• Shutterbean made Elderflower Sherbert like a very clever woman.
• I have this blazer and every time I wear it, people are like wait.. what!? It’s an affordable (and yes, polyester) statement piece.
• Next book on my reading list is Making Piece: a memoir of loss, love, and pie by Beth Howard. Beth writes the blog The World Needs More Pie and is currently traveling the globe teaching people the wonders of pie. This is a woman after my heart.
Have a happy Sunday! You’re lovely.