Hi friends! Happy Sunday!
Tron and I have spent the last few days getting our house straightened up. He has some cat toy organizing he wanted to do and I’ve been desperate to hang some pictures up on the walls and make my desk a place that inspires productivity and not just complete and utter Internet distraction.
It’s the kind of hot here in New Orleans that makes your feet heavy and even your eyes blink slower. No one is moving very quickly from here to there and that’s just the way it is. Tron ordered a pair of clippers from Amazon and promises he won’t claw my face off if I trim his fur. So far I don’t believe him.
If you need me this afternoon, I’ll be sitting on my kitchen counter watching Brown Butter Ice Cream churn in my ice cream maker. If it’s as delicious as it sounds, I’ll share the recipe with you next week!
I hope you have a most lovely Sunday! Here’s what we’re reading:
• The New Science of Sentencing. Should prison sentences be based on the potential to commit future crimes? Dangerous game.
• Who Runs the Streets of New Orleans? Privately funded, high-tech crime fighting. I lived in the French Quarter during this particular madness and we needed a Batman.
• When Louisiana is in the blood: Patter and Patois (Thank you for the link Katherine!)
• Why our futures depend on libraries, reading, and daydreaming (and maybe putting down our cellphones).
• When I’m Gone: I cried some and then a lot.
• I like when married people write about being married. The Wedding Toast I’ll Never Give. “Epic failure is part of being human, and it’s definitely part of being married. It’s part of what being alive means, occasionally screwing up in expensive ways. And that’s part of what marriage means, sometimes hating this other person but staying together because you promised you would. And then, days or weeks later, waking up and loving him again, loving him still.”
• Mindy Kaling’s Guide To Killer Confidence. Yes. Yes. Yes. Work hard. Earn it. Don’t hate yourself.
• Tinder and the Dawn of the Dating Apocalypse: As romance gets swiped from the screen, some twentysomethings aren’t liking what they see.
What about thirty somethings? Doomed. Quick question, do we even respect ourselves or each other… like, AT ALL anymore?
• The Internet is so obsessed with itself. 2015 is the year the old internet died. I feel like the Internet is a new thing we’re still getting used to… how’s that for crazy-talk?
• Jon Stewart and ‘The Daily Show’: 9 Essential Moments. I miss Even Stevphen.
• I’m sweating from shoulder to shin. Would now be a good time to talk about how to start a soup club? Maybe we could make it a slushy club, starting with these Bourbon Slush Punches or Fresh Raspberry Gin Slushies.
• Speaking of french fries (I know we weren’t…): French Fry Toppings of the World. (There’s a lot of punctuation going on in the previous sentence. Most of it is incorrect.)
• Hop on the bandwagon of this 31 Day Drawing Challenge?
• Pink and orange inspiration via summer dress.
• Gorgeous. I’m ready for it. Sour Cream Cherry Ice Cream.
• Question: Can we take back the camel toe?
It’s your Sunday! I hope it’s a great one!