“I’m not so sure about watermelon and green salad.”
I hear you. I hear you, fan of donuts and caramels and watermelon margaritas. Watermelon and greens? Suspicious. I totally get it.
Just imagine this watermelon as a crisp, slightly sweet, juicy and delicious plate upon which you eat your salad from. Except it’s an edible plate. A plate that you’re going to eat. Because actually it’s just fruit and it really is delicious with a slightly spicy kale salad.
Its August. We’re melting. But we’re not going down without a fight. Watermelon and greens to the rescue.
It starts with a wedge of watermelon.
By wedge I mean, giant watermelon round. The center of a seedless watermelon, about 1 1/2 inches thick, sliced through and placed on a platter.
Place a few handfuls of baby kale on top of the watermelon. Go ahead and add the thinly sliced shallots and thinly sliced jalapeños. Oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper right on top of the salad and lightly toss it together. I used my clean hands. Watermelon as salad plate and bowl.
Feta and avocado slices for salt and creaminess and the salad is sliced into big wedges.
Crisp and sweet watermelon balances the salty and spicy cheese and jalapeños. Avocados because they’re delicious always.
Are you with me? Sweet meets savory and spice in our salad!
Wait… come to think of it, we’ve been down this road before. Last summer we tossed together spinach, snap peas, and sesame with our watermelon. My summer craving brain is consistent.Print
Watermelon Wedge Salad with arugula, jalapeño, and avocado
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 15
- 1 large round watermelon slice, about 1 1/2-inch thickness
- 2 heaping cups baby kale, arugula, or spinach
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoons thinly sliced jalapeños
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 hass avocado, peeled and sliced
- heaping 1/3 cup crumbled she’s milk feta cheese
- Place watermelon slice on a platter.
- Top with greens, shallots, and jalapeños.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Lightly toss the salad on top of the watermelon slice.
- Top with feta and avocado. Slice into wedges and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4