Listen, I know I can’t compete with your Aunt Martha’s green bean casserole, or your Uncle Steve’s ultra-moist stuffing. I know. Thanksgiving is sacred and we shouldn’t be in the business of reinventing the turkey wheel. No one wants that. Also… no one wants salad at their Thanksgiving table. Exactly no one, I took a global survey.
I’m here with some humble suggestions and humble helpers. I want our holiday table to be as easy, as delicious, and as wine-filled as it can be. Let’s do the dang thing.
Here’s the word, turkey-bird:
• Don’t but that stupid little jar of pumpkin pie spice. Just… don’t. Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
• Pumpkin Pie Bars, for when pie crust feels like too much. I do understand. Also… cream cheese, so… WIN!
• Actually. Don’t even make a Pumpkin Pie. My Dad invented Sweet Potato Pie (not true) and it’s perfect (actually true), and you really must make this. I’m not often emphatic and unrelenting: Dad’s Perfect Sweet Potato Pie.
• For non-traditional traditionalists: Apple Cranberry Pie
• I get a google alert any time anyone buys a pre-made pie crust from the grocery store and every single time it makes me cry. It’s like an angel losing it’s wings. Me being the angel. You catch my drift. Five Tips To Make The Best All-Butter Pie Crust
• Also, I mean… this cheese with warm jam is like, bonkers good. Warm Herb and Jam Goat Cheese Spread
• Sides be sides. Don’t let anyone mess with your mashed. Mushrooms and Mashed (Potatoes)
• Leftovers are the best part of Thanksgiving. Glory be. That sandwich on Friday is a YEAR-MAKER. Also consider, waffles: Mashed Potato Waffles with cheddar and chives.
• Leave it to me to make a dang grilled cheese out of and dang thing. Supreme: Cranberry and Brie Grilled Cheese
I don’t know about you, but I’ve got my eat-pants folded and ready at the foot of my bed. It’s about to go down.