Thank you for your patience with me this week. I’ve hustled up my kitchen and packed my moving boxes to move for, what I hope will be the last time in a long time. This girl (I’ve got my thumbs pointed at myself), is planting roots in New Orleans, and some-way some-how calling herself a home owner. I’m still working on unpacking boxes and hanging level shelves (impossible). Rest easy in knowing that there will likely always be dirty dishes in the sink and some sort of cookie on the counter. My goal is to make this space a place we can share. Classes and dinners and New Orleans gatherings and more on that soon I promise! It’s going to be GOOD! In the meantime, you can follow me on snapchat (I know…) (joythebaker) if you want to witness the unfiltered madness. Spoiler alert: my cat sits in the sink a lot and I eat a lot of jelly beans.
The world as it is according to my filter and the Internet. I hope your coffee is hot and the rest of your day is supreme!
• A Terror Attack, Then The Far Right Moves In. On fear and politics in light of the recent terror attacks in Europe. They won’t win with fear. We can’t let it be that way, we can’t let it close us up.
• How Clinton’s Email Scandal Took Root… her own personal Blackberry. There goes the neighborhood. (I’m kidding… this is actually serious.)
• This Hobo Life. Life on the road with millennial hobos… there’s a painted school bus and fast food wifi preferences. How long before we’re sick of the word millennial because I think it’s already happening.
• The story of the greatest male synchronized swimmer, Billy May and his quest for Olympic Gold: Water’s Edge. So great!
• Quick question you may or may not care about: What Happened To Tiger Woods. Follow up: if you watch the video associated with the story, why is Alan Shipnuck doing a video interview from his bedroom and everyone is acting like it’s normal?
• What it really means for an egg to be cage free. Listen, there’s not a lot of green grass involved.
• Plants remember if you mess with them enough. But do plants remember if you kill them? That’s my question because black thumb.
• Here’s something we should know: Eating something sweet can lead to a romantic date. Not just any kind of date, but a ROMANTIC date. Why am I just now finding this out? Better late than never.
• Ugg: The look that refused to die. Cozy up in your Juicy suit and enjoy this piece of our past… unless you own Ugg boots… in which case, can we talk about it / are they pink?
• The Internet really got down with some April Fool’s Day pranks this year. In case you missed a few: An updating and unsettling list of April Fool’s Day pranks 2016.
• Ben Innes on taking a selfie with the EgyptAir hijacker. You guys… I hated typing those words so much. Are we ok? Maybe no.
• Instagram is changing and people are freaking out about it. Should I be freaking out about it? 4 Major Instagram Changes You Missed This Week.
• A cocktail. (By now we need one.) Frozen Peach Bourbon Mule.
• One from the archives: Pistachio Crusted Asparagus with Feta. The green (pistachios) on green (asparagus) is wondrous.
• What are you reading right now? I don’t know where to go next on my book list. Judy Blume’s In The Unlikely Event. What are you reading?
Have a very fine day. I’m rooting for you! I’ll invite you over soon! And you won’t even have to take your shoes off in the house. Wear your holey socks… it’s a safe place.