You know what you can do in New Orleans? You can walk down the street, walking a dog that is not yours, drinking a beer in a koozie, wearing purple pants, at sunset, like a civilized human being, amen. These days, more than I’ve ever felt like I really live in New Orleans. Mostly because my neighborhood is the real real New Orleans deal (no tourist busses drive through), my neighbor called me ‘baby’ in her slow southern drawl, and we acknowledged our shared humanity as she encouraged a jogger running down the street like he was running a marathon for one. She definitely wanted him to take his shirt off… ‘so our men can feel like men’ she said. I was ambivalent about that part. He laughed and seemed to run a little faster.
So. What’s next? A lazy Sunday where I make nachos for myself? Yep. Exactly right. Hit the nail right on the head.
I hope you and yours are mellowed into the weekend and feeling all sorts of fine.
The Internet according to the Internet:
• Seeing Double / A World Without Mirror. ‘In the modern imagination, the mirror has been placed at the center of what defines us as a species, and what defines us as individuals.’ What do we even really look like / could whatever that is definitely include the flower crown filter on Snapchat, thanks.
• I really enjoyed this article in Vice: The Unhealthy Truth Behind “Wellness” and “Clean Eating”. I’m never not going to eat cake and also.. white sugar is not a drug- just eat less of it if you’re stressing it and chiillll out (my advice, which is pretty good if you ask me which you didn’t). When we’re talking about ‘wellness’, what happens if we separate pleasure from nutrition (besides thigh-gap)?
• I have a very strong fascination with Mt. Everest so this is exactly up my alley: The most successful female Everest climber of all time is a housekeeper in Hartford, Connecticut.
• Here’s a little bit of weird reality, ‘driving Uber’ is the new ‘waiting tables’… except there’s more moving of drugs. Which… if I think back to my days of waiting tables… nevermind.
• A charming and bizarre weekend read. Harlem Knight Fight Suit and tie by day. Suit of armor by night. I love people. (Sometimes I hate people… but I love people.)
• These cookies look absolutely irresistible and we should all make them as close to immediately as possible: French Salted Butter Cookies.
• Tron is an only (cat) child and he’s getting some new toys in the mail this week from Purrfect Play Catnip Toys. I said cat-child. Cry for help, periodpointblank.
• The very best coffee in New Orleans: Cherry Espresso Bar.
• This is my summer shoe: a classic Converse, but slightly more slip on.
• My favorite new-to-me app these days is Hyperlapse from Instagram. It makes time-lapse videos so simply! It’s really incredible what we can do now.
• Food I’m looking forward to sooner rather than later: Beer Battered Onion Rings with Buttermilk Ranch Dipping Sauce (and I’m not even sorry).
• Have you seen the new The Wild Unknown Animal Spirit cards!? They’re beautiful. The art, the words, the spirit of this company is big with echoes.
Have a really glorious day!