Hey friends! Welcome to it!
I hope this weekend finds you happy and well, having napped, cocktailed, or baconed at least once so far.
I have a big birthday coming up this week and I’ve been thinking a lot about the ways I care for myself and for the people close to me. The quiet things that we just do because we’re kind and not total jerks, like changing my self-talk from hyper critical to compassionate… or like making breakfast and giving your partner the best piece of crispy bacon or that extra dab of coffee. I’m thinking a lot about the culmination of those small but immense things. I’ll write more about it once I have a birthday and a cupcake and my thoughts straight.
Enjoy a beautiful Sunday, even if it’s weird and raining at the end of May like wwwhhyyyy?
There’s an important question at the end of this post that involves me and Facebook Live. Hang in there with me. I appreciate your thoughts.
I’m grateful for you, truly. Here’s some Internet for us:
• We have a problem, y’all. It’s about how much money we pay when we need help from medical professionals… aaaand we have health insurance. A few years back I had a bike accident and paid many hundreds of dollars for the board that the paramedics strapped me to in the ambulance. Just the board! The board that I didn’t ask to be strapped to, didn’t much like being strapped to, and strangely enough…didn’t get to keep. And they didn’t even turn the siren of the ambulance on to get me to the hospital. That’s the real outrage. (Is it though?) Enough about me. Read more about The $629 Band Aid.
• Grace of Design Sponge wrote some very personal words about Life with Type 1 Diabetes.
• How Your Gut Effects Your Mood. New meaning to the term gut-check. These bodies of ours really are amazing.
• Everything you might not have known you needed to know about flour: A bread bakers guide to flours
• Calling BS on food trends. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.
• Here’s the premise, ‘a bunch of hot people work in a restaurant’ on Bravo TV and go: Drinking and Drama on Vanderpump Rules
• Follow up: what to get the vodka lover who has everything? Hanger One is now selling a $125 vodka made from San Francisco FOG. So… there goes the neighborhood.
• Maybe we didn’t know it at the time, but 2007 was as good as it gets. A love letter to 2007. Burn it out, burn it down. How was your 2007?
• So this is what success (and a briefcase full of pizza) looks like. Pushing the All-You-Can-Eat restaurant to the limit.
• My friend Ilana got me this Country Living Home Almanac as a housewarming gift and I love it! Maintaining your home month to month. It’s official.
• A summer project from Shutterbean: DIY Bleach Dying Fabric. She made me a dress and it’s so great!
• It’s breakfast and also dinner: Mushroom and Brussels Sprout Hash.
• Let’s definitely continue our strawberry kick: Strawberry Lattice Pie. The ground ginger is the secret.
• Do you follow me on Facebook? I’m going to start doing Facebook Live videos. What do you want to know? I’ll do it!
Today is a good one! Let’s be in it all the way.