Hello my friends!
Welcome to this, another fine Sunday with us blinking our eyes open and figuring out which socks to wear (I think the answer is none).
This past week, at my request, many of you offered up some of the advice and wisdom you’ve accumulated in your time making your life your life. Your comments were top-notch, super insightful, and really wonderful to read. Every one was a gem, but there are a few favorites I thought I’d share. If you’re interested, read more in the comment section at This is 35.
Faith offered this, ‘“love means to look at yourself the way one looks at distant things. For you are only one thing among many”.
Meredith shared this, “A fella shared with me how his grandmother trains bulls on her farm; As babies she fastens them to a rock. the rock is heavier than the young bull, restraining it to the diameter of the rock. The young bull is not content with its confinement and tries to break free by bucking for a few days or weeks, but eventually sees the futility and calms. As the bull calms it starts to grow, still chained to and restrained by the same rock -the bull grows but the rock remains the same. one day, the bull is a youth no more, full-grown and much bigger then the rock, like much MUCH bigger. But the big bull doesn’t try to move the rock. At all. It is resigned to being restrained by an unlovable rock. For the record, if it tried, a full-grown bull could pull the rock across the farm.
My advice, never stop bucking.”
Renee offered this, “Show up for you and continue to encourage people to do the same for themselves in between everything else.”
The gems you offered me this week have been invaluable. I’m grateful to you and I’m reminded that we’re all in this together.
Here’s some Internet happenings. May the rest of your Sunday be glorious!
• If you’re going to call yourself “The Greatest”, you dang-well better be. Rest in peace, Muhammad Ali.
• There have been more than 300 homicides in Chicago this year already. That’s a lot. That’s too many because one is too many. That’s a city become war zone and the shooters are not being caught. Chicago’s invisible shooters wreak havoc.
• It’s wedding season and here’s a fine way to celebrate. Why you will marry the wrong person. It’s a beautiful read because we’re imperfect but capable and so is everyone else.
• Masters of Love. Let’s be good at love with kindness and generosity, with the confidence and consistency to doooo thaaatt all the time.
• Truer words never spoken. Your flip flops are grossing me out.
• This is the secret to keeping secrets. We’ve all seen Seinfeld. (That’s not necessarily a true statement but just let it happen.) You put secrets in The Vault. It’s as simple as that. Also… if we’re going to go down a Seinfeld rabbit hold (unintended): Aunt Baby.
• How Mark Zuckerberg led Facebook’s war to crush Google Plus. I mean… the dude and the company are no flipping joke. We all get that by now, right?
• Champagne gummies, they’ll never give you a headache. That’s a bald-faced lie and I’m making them anyway.
• An unlikely but very likeable and insightful pair: Maya Angelou and Dave Chapelle
• Consider this some bath time reading and motivation. Anne Lamont. Time lost and Found.
• Because it’s Summer and we want to be sure our cakes melt quickly: Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream Cake with Salted Caramel
• Unrelated to ice cream cake… have you ever tried the Whole 30 Diet? I’m toying with the idea- batting it around like a cat and a catnip ball in my head. There’s a cat in my head? I’m browsing this from The Kitchn: 12 Favorite Whole 30 Recipes.
In the meantime, I wish for you waffle brunch.