Here we are, all the way into the August of another year. How do you feel about August (besides sweaty and damp)? Feels to me like I’m readying myself for the transition to Autumn. For some reason, I feel the most shift in life this time of year. It’s exciting, with a few frayed edges, but I look forward to the possibility and change (and the leggings and turtlenecks and gemtones).
I hope you’re taking it easy today. Our ‘oh it’s summer’ days are coming to an end and the hard hustle is fast approaching.
May I humbly suggest you visit your local donut shop for a treat? That’s what I’m going to do, believe it.
Here’s our internet this week:
• Do you know what’s going on in the Philippines?
• Still going through it down here in the South: Cleanup Crews Roll Through Baton Rouge.
• My Last Day As A Surgeon from the author of the memoir When Breath Becomes Air. It’s beautiful and heartbreaking and life.
• This feels true and bizarre: We life in a pop culture world that Lou Pearlman Created
• We don’t just wear athleisure clothes because they’re comfortable, they also outwardly symbolize our aspiration for a healthy, controlled life. Those Lululemons don’t come cheap: Pajama Rich
• On adulting (likely child-free and working from home): I Suggest A Chemise as a lady of the home.
• Our girl is back. Britney Spears has been a pop icon for 20 years. To understand her, you need to understand her hair. This is so good.
• I was wondering so I googled it… as one does. Why Did Alicia Keyes Stop Wearing Makeup?
• Well, here we are in it: Like. Flirt. Ghost. Inside the Social Media Lives of Teens
• PSA: Making Food for a Man Will Not Get You Laid or Engaged. Good lessons… like that time we learned not to play in abandoned refrigerator on Punky Brewster. That was terrifying and you know it because we all thought Cherie was gonna die.
• Remember when we used to collect Pogs and Slammers? Vaguely? Were you a part of this trend? Here’s the motherhood version of that. How are your eyes? That was probably a deep eye roll. We’re fickle creatures sometimes.
• A breakfast site and it’s a beauty: Extracrispy! I mean… they have Brunch Cocktail Ring Pops! I saw that and asked if I could start my brunch book over again from scratch. Clearly I need to.
• What flour makes the best biscuits? I’m experimenting with biscuits this Tuesday on Facebook LIVE. I remember my dad making ‘the good biscuits’ (as if there were bad ones?) with White Lily Flour, so let’s try together!
• We’ve got Kentucky Fried Chicken in our future because now we have the real recipe.
• A power book I ordered this week for my future self: In the Company of Women: Inspiration and Advice from Over 100 Makers by Grace Bonney of DesignSponge!
• New Orleans Hidden Gem Restaurants! Come brave the heat with us, it’s totally worth it.
Live your best life today! Why not, right?
I came across this article today and thought you may enjoy too, as a fellow ice cream enthusiast! Love your Sunday posts. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/ben-and-jerrys-ice-cream-flavors-graveyard-instagram-pictures/food-and-drink
I promise that most of the babywearing world is nothing like that article. Most of us are nice and just love to see babies being held close. And there have been amazing things in the communities. Don’t be afraid of us. But I do try to collect a lot.
And market value has plummeted. I paid nowhere near those prices for my wrap conversion.
This is one of my favorite Let it be Sunday’s yet! Mostly the Britney article and the Wired one on teens and social media. It really spoke to me. Thanks for easing me into my Monday!!
I suggest a chemise, so perfectly reflects my fantasy life. Perfect, clean, simple writing..love. But now I also have to go shopping
I always enjoy the Sunday lists, but today’s was extra inspired! Re: the Philippines – I had no idea! That then sent me down a rabbit hole of other good Atlantic articles. Also, purchasing a chemise ASAP. So many important things learned today.
What time will you be on Facebook Live on Tuesday?
Re live your best life today: a friend of mine reminded me that she was dying of leukemia when she had a bone-marrow transplant 28 years ago. She said every single day is a blessing.
We really shouldn’t have to face death to appreciate life.
As always am enjoying “our” Sunday’s together. Only half way through, lots of good stuff here! I just turned 55, but look much younger( so they tell me). I would like to see woman wearing less makeup. The older you get the less you need. I always remember ” they put a lot of make up on models, maybe she’s 19 and they want her to look 25″ . So, if you are older, too much make up makes you look older! Nobody wants that! I don’t wear much most days and feel very comfortable and attractive this way. All these celebrities going without are very pretty or gorgeous girls( I can’t claim to be that good looking) so, you know, they look great with or without. Mila Kunas? Please, she is one of the most beautiful women on the planet! “My last day as a surgeon” heartbreakingly beautiful. I wept.
Catie C. aka Lady Tofu
Gaaakkkkk!! The PB Refridgerator episode…..Yesssssss!! That was some life changing super real tv!!!! I love your Sunday posts and read them like it is church! The photos, recipies and words that make up you site are always amazing! Thank you so much! Best!
“Like. Flirt. Ghost” hits a little too close to home as I find myself trying to decipher texts from a preteen and wondering where he learned all of it. But being a teenager sounds so…exhausting.
“Making Food for a Man Will Not Get You Laid or Engaged” made me laugh, mostly at how little things change. My best friend in college had a recipe for Barbecue Shrimp that she swore by and refused to share with anyone. More than a decade later, she was dying from cancer, and only then did she stick the recipe on my refrigerator. I make it to this day, because it’s a fabulous recipe, but I always wondered how she managed to have sex afterwards. It’s a heavy dish, much like the penne alla vodka. Personally, I’ll have the salad (after the fried chicken and biscuits, of course).
The fact that you’ve referenced Brit-Brit and Punky Brewster in the same post is proof that you’re awesome.
The best part of my Sunday morning :)
That Punky Brewster episode is forever seared into my memory! That was THE BEST show!!
I agree with Debbie! And love the Punky Brewster reference. Definitely a game-changer. It made me want to learn CPR!
I look so forward to Sundays with you. Don’t ever stop!
Renee Di Pietro
I second that!!! :)