What kind of traveler are you? Do you unpack your suitcase right when you get home? Are you back up and running into your routine in hours? Or are you like me…? You dig through the suitcase you’ve lived out of for weeks with the sole purpose of finding the bag of Ottolenghi granola your friend gifted you because you want it for breakfast. The laundry can wait. Breakfast, somehow, can not.
I’m home and ready to hop in the kitchen to make new recipes for us. I hope you’re into bread pudding and pork belly… it’s all going down. Not together. Separate dishes. I gathered a lot of food inspiration from my recent travels.
These past few weeks have been challenging. Challenging in the way that we’re still wading through ridiculous political blah blahs, and people are still getting shot and killed in the streets in our country.
Here’s some of the words from the week:
• We’re having a hard time and we need to figure it out. A picture from Chicago: The Most Dangerous Neighborhood, The Most Inexperienced Cops.
• How Clinton and Trump Are Preparing For The First Presidential Debate. It’s tomorrow. You want to talk about Sunday Stresses? Call Lester Holt… he’s the king of ’em today.
• Roy Choi has the right idea about what it means to be a successful food entrepeneur and feed people. Read this: The People’s Cheeseburger
• Ina Garten is obsessed with her husband Jeffrey. Listen y’all. Love is real.
• Thanks for getting us all started on this crazy food blogging journey, Deb. You started it all, right? If not for you I’d still be Live Journaling into the void. What I’d Tell New Food Bloggers 10 Years After Starting Smitten Kitchen.
• I don’t think baseball is even a sport absent the voice of Vin Scully. Ask anybody. The Man. The Voice. The Stories.
• I was dead-set on only skimming two paragraphs of this article and read the whole dang thing because it’s fascinating: Brangelina Is Dead; Long Live Angelina.
• Current listen: This American Life: Becoming A Badger. I love the story about the dog hunting rats… it’s charming somehow, just listen.
• Let’s be real hopeful and stock up on camp socks. No, seriously.
• On the Bake and Shoot Recipe List for next week: Shepard’s Pie, Guinness Brownies, Bread and Butter Pudding. This week I’ve made the Marrakesh Carrot Salad twice. Don’t call it a comeback.
• What to bring back from London (or apparently buy in bulk on Amazon): Chunky Peanut Butter Kit Kat. Ok, you’re welcome.
• A breakfast idea: French Toast For One or Two. Gather ye breads.
Enjoy this day! We’ll talk more soon. In the meantime, I’m going to go laundry.