I chose the hottest day of August to leave my house, get into the oven (my car), drive to another oven (the French Quarter), to quick-shop at my favorite clothing store (UAL) with one very specific purpose: to buy all of their sweaters. I didn’t buy all of them… I bought two, bulky thick, delicious wool numbers. I walked out of the store (back into the oven), successful and sweating.
Sometimes you just have to do some wishful shopping. It’s not a thing that works, but it’s hopeful and mostly satisfying… like buying your own Christmas presents early and surprising yourself come late December. It’s a push towards Sweater Weather (here’s how to pronounce that) because we’re ready… because now we can start thinking about pie and not bikini bodies.
Here are some of my favorite Sweater Weather recipes because we’re almost there, friends. We’re almost there.
• Ok so it’s too soon to say Pumpkin Spice anything, but we can dip our toe in the pond with Maple Spiced Almond Milk with a hint of Pumpkin.
• Whole Roasted Onion turn to soft, sweet, spreadable happiness. Add bread, butter, and salt.
• Two layers of butter pie crust, creamy chicken gravy, soft vegetables, and tender chicken and AMEN it’s Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie. Remember those frozen individual-size chicken pot pies? I loved those dang things. This is way better, but definitely hits that soft spot for frozen tiny store-bought pies.
• For meat, broth, and rice needs: Chicken Spinach Meatball Soup with broth and rice. Sometimes are needs are simple and succinct.
• You know those mornings when you just want carrot cake for breakfast? Consider this the healthy oat form: Morning Glory Oats. Also please take note that I completely support carrot cake for breakfast if you can get your hands on it.
• Your best brunching self, in a sweater, with these waffles: Vanilla Bean Sweet Potato Waffles
• Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Cumin. Roasty, smooth, and freezable so you don’t have to eat chicken nuggets more nights of the week that you’d like to admit, like me… ok?
• Warm and slightly gooey with fruit and spice but not like… Christmas fruit and spice. Too soon for those thoughts. Chocolate Pudding Cake with Orange and Nutmeg.
Trust me when I say that I’m not done talking about sweaters. Sorry in advance.
Ohhhh those morning glory oats look amazing! If you like Salted Caramel, check out my recipe for Salted Caramel Nut Butter https://thenutbutterhub.com/salted-caramel-almond-nut-butter/
Those morning glory oats are awesome! I have made the recipe a handful of times during the cold weather.
I love your pot pie recipe. I come back to it each winter. Always a crowd pleaser! I will definitely have to try the roasted onions when our weather cools off :)
Well said on all things fall, even early in when still hot! I love your chicken pot pie, never seen one like it, thank you!
I’m curious about the baking time for the pot pie. Is it truly enough time for the bottom crust to bake?
Sweater weather recipes are by far the best recipes!