Hello my friends,
How have you hustled through the week? Likely with strong legs and a brave face because that’s just how we do things. This week I released my third cookbook which… honestly and truly blows my little baker mind. It’s called Over Easy. It’s about brunch. It’s full of cocktails and coffee, egg techniques, sandwiches and salads, so much bacon and a good amount of biscuits, gravy and french toast (separate not together). I’m really proud of it, and it would feel so good to me if you decided to make it a part of your kitchen life.
This week, and for a few more weeks to follow, I’m trotting across the country (I’m in Seattle as I type this) to meet you, bake for you, sign your cookbooks, and talk about brunch. Thank you THANK YOU from deep inside my heart to those of you who came out in New York and Boston and Chicago. It really fills my heart that you take your precious time to come see me.
Here’s what’s on my mind this week. I hope it feeds your weekend:
• Mothers are Keepers of Bodies. Gosh this phrase brought tears to my eyes because even as someone who is not a mother I feel like this is very true. And even though I’m not a mother… I have a mother, and no matter how old I get, it’s good to know that there’s a safe lady who is a knower and keeper of my body on this earth with me. Much less shitting and puking now though. Like mostly 100% less than she has to deal with so… we’re good. This link thanks to Ashley English who is an inspiring keeper of bodies, plural.
• Does Trump actually have the patience and fortitude to work with Congress or does he just want to muscle bologna and force votes because I dunno… slow down and take care, dude. AHCApocalypse… mmkay?
• RBG, ok!?
• Seeing people rush to one another in London this week is heartbreaking and scary and also somehow heart-strengthening.
• This is smart. Are we ‘doers’ because we like to be doers… or is it more likely that we’re have-to-doers because dammit health insurance and bills are scary and ain’t nobody here to help. The Gig Economy Celebrates Working Yourself to Death.
• Good news- tables have turned. Now mail order brides are shopping for Western men. Ok cool cool cool. At least something is working.
• See: The Sazerac and The Bywater aprons by Joy the Baker x Hedley & Bennett. And if you come out to book signing I’m giving away special patches that… if you’re asking me… will looks super sweet on these aprons. Just putting the pieces together, folks. Our kitchen game is ON POINT.
• Have you listened to the new Drake album? It’s only been streamed 600 million times, ok? Cakes coming soon. ‘I’ve got Dubai plates in a California state’ ME TOO DRAKE ME TOO.
• “Come at the king. You best not miss.” – Omar. This is a very chill 2 hours 43 minutes and 33 second super-cut of every scene with Omar in HBO’s best show ever The Wire.
• James Corden and Stevie Wonder made me cry because seeing people so happy makes me so teary.
• Donna Hay’s Lemon and Coconut Impossible Pie… which sounds lovely and genius and makes me feel like I need to come up with more clever names for my recipes. I see you, Donna.
• So Emma Roberts started a book club and of course it’s on here on Instagram and she happens to be reading the same book I have out on the road with me: Joan Didion’s South and West: From a Notebook.
• Wishing in these Springtime vibes with Carrot Cupcakes with Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting, ya know?
• I’m traveling a lot this and the next few weeks… and for me that means a weird amount of plane rides and stress white wine so my skin needs HELP. Here’s what is keeping my skin good and not bad: Sanitas Pumpkin Enzyme Mask and Sanitas Lemon Cream Scrub.
• This week I was in the Bon Appetit test kitchen and made a rolled omelet live on their Facebook page– it was a combination of a dream (I didn’t even know I had) come true and a nervy mess. I messed up and fixed it up and everything was mostly fine and great and an example of just jumping in and doing shit.
I love you and I really do appreciate you.
Let’s go get it today!