If you’re anything like me… and I suspect you’re a lot like me… you have a lovely pint of strawberries slowly dying on your kitchen counter or in the crisper drawer. They were the most lovely when we bought them. We were a combination of hungry and hopeful at the grocery store. We were feeling kinda spendy and the strawberries were on sale. The sun was shining and we had our sunglasses on inside the grocery store because… just because. So that’s where we were and now here we are with languishing berries and the laziest of hopes.
So what to do? We can’t let those little gems go to waste. They came from nada mucho and turned into something so special. To celebrate a big bright Spring and impending Summer… the least we can do is not let those little fruits go to waste. And really, some Tuesdays are about the least we can do to get sweets into the system.
Here is the inspiration we need:
• A whole lotta sweet baby scones come from flour and heavy cream. I add a handful of coarsely chopped white chocolate because I’m really going for it: Tiny Strawberry Cream Scones.
• Roasted Strawberry Shortcake with Basil Cream. It’s the roasting and the basil cream that are really BEYOND. I’m making Basil Ice Cream just for kicks soon soon soon.
• Sweet strawberries just beg to be with tart rhubarb. Add biscuits and cream and call a neighbor over to celebrate: Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler with Cornmeal Biscuits and Honeyed Cream
• Strawberries in salad. Add cheese and pistachios to make it all fit so sweetly. Spring Strawberry Salad with Cucumber and Feta and Pistachios
• Grilled Strawberry Shortcake. Warm cake and sweet berries and cool cream. Basically everything you want to happen in one plate.
• Unapologetic, really. Strawberry Lattice Pie. Make no mistake, it’s a juicy one.
• Add oats and pecans: Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie
• Juicy Strawberry Pistachio Bake – I would say, DEFINITELY add ice cream.
Whatever you do, don’t make Strawberry Salsa. That shouldn’t be a thing. We’ve gone too far a species. Can we agree?
Happy first week of May! I’ll have another strawberry recipe to add to the collection later this week. It involves olive oil and sour cream… so if you’re headed to the store, keep that in mind.
xo to you,