Hello my friends! Happy Sunday!
How are you doing? How are we doing? How many men have told you to smile this week? I’m at 2. Thank you for the feedback, gentlemen. Do me a quick favor and mind your own business FOREVER AND EVER. It has felt like, these past few weeks, the flood gates of sexual misconduct have opened wide. What is there to say? I mean… yea. I feel grateful that the lights are shining on this issue. I feel frustrated that this is even an issue. I feel exhausted by my own experience with this garbage. I see who the President is. And then the whole cycle of emotions starts over with another news revelation.
Maybe that’s why I spend my free brainspace thinking about my upcoming Christmas decorations.
This past week felt like it lasted a year. Here are some of the things that reached me:
• Again. How To Reduce Shootings. It’s not black and white. It’s not easy. It’s not going to happen overnight. But my goodness something’s got to give.
• This is a beautiful read. We choose how we are in the world. Let’s choose well and act with the sort of openness displayed by both of these men: The Bully and the Buddhist.
• Why canceling plans is so satisfying. Well… it’s instant time gained.
• Have You Ever Tried To Decline an Airplane Napkin? Apparently it’s very hard to do but it’s worth thinking about losing that thing.
• Can we talk about Thanksgiving? I’m having a gang of friends over for the holiday and we’re putting a bird in the oven. I’m using this brine to work my turkey this year.
• King Arthur Flour (the best!) has some really great baking tips to make prep feel easy and not mega stressful. Check it: Make and Freeze Dinner Rolls AND Make Ahead Pie Crust (which I totally want to try for Instagram Stories very soon!).
• These look really very good: Parmesan Thyme Mushrooms.
• It’s time for Dad’s Sweet Potato Pie, and if you’re in New Orleans, I’m hosting a Pie Prep Workshop NEXT SUNDAY where you tackle your fear of pie crust (with my help!) and we put together all of the ingredients for the pie for you can take off to bake on Wednesday or Thursday for Thanksgiving! Space is limited so holla at your girl (aka, sign up) if you’re down.
• You’re more than welcome to get all nosey and peek inside my house with this Joy the Baker Apartment Therapy Tour.
• Had a treat myself moment this week and bought a new hair conditioner… mostly because I’m too stubborn to get a trim. After one use, I’m ready to declare my love: Henna and Jasmine from LUSH.
• Here’s a book I bought this week, it’s sweet: I Am Here Now.
• This audiobook is so great: The Hidden Life of Trees.
Enjoy this day. Only smile if you want to.