Hello Sunday friends!
How are you feeling this week? I hold a general sense of deep exhaustion as the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings and the anonymous Op-Ed clink through my news feed and newsy podcasts. It’s a lot of dissonance.
I have a dog now – a pound puppy (her name is Maggie and she’s 2+ years old) I share with my friend Nicole… because it takes a village of at least two to take care of a dog. Maggie has me bursting at the seems (she’s really so funny) and taking long walks around the neighborhood – a newish route everyday, a chance to appreciate Bywater vignettes evermore.
We’ve made our way into September which… I suppose that means we have to buckle down and be serious now and with that in mind I’m working towards some holiday (I know… it’s happening) ideas and Bakehouse workshops.
I hope this finds you feeling steady and rested. Enjoy this Sunday. Here’s the offering this week:
• A lot of reasons why this is a really difficult read: The Supreme Court Is Headed Back to the 19th Century. (The Atlantic)
• Here’s some heart: Stories of the Segregated South, a folklorist’s promise. (The Washington Post)
• Tell me everything in stories, allegories, metaphors, and hints please. The Best Thing My Psychic Mom Taught Me Is That No One Wants To Hear The Truth. (Buzzfeed)
• Deleting Instagram, Installing Instagram. A cycle. Relatable content? (The New Yorker)
• Well… I’m shaken to my very core: Why the world is full of buttons that don’t work. (CNN)
• Ask me why I’m neurotic about washing my hands at the airport? Airport security trays carry more viruses than… I think you can imagine where this is going. (The Guardian)
• Have you been to Kerry Diamond’s green coffee shop in Brooklyn? She’s a friend and an inspiration and what’s on her mind is always fresh. Get em! (The Kitchn)
• 25 new words added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary this year and I just solved one of them for myself: hangry. (Took me three times to fight that out with auto-correct though.) (Mental Floss)
• Casual note that Everlane is making the best shoes. (Everlane)
• We always have reason for a sequin here in New Orleans: ASOS Sequin Kimono Jacket. (ASOS)
• I’m in the mood for bread baking. You? 10 Necessary Tips For Baking Simple Bread at Home. (Bon Appetit)
• I’m here for it: New-Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies with All Tahini and No Butter. (Food52)
• A dinner offering: Baked Eggplant Parmesan with Creamy Polenta. (Joy the Baker)
Have a lovely day, ok?
My love to you.