The question is, how am I still working through Thanksgiving leftovers? I’ve said goodbye to the last of the stuffing and gravy, the mashed potatoes I turned into waffles, the turkey is stocked, but this pound cake (made from my friend Nicole’s grandmother’s recipe) seems to do nothing but regenerate itself every time I take a slice. I’ve taken to browning each slice in melted butter, topping it with whipped cream and jam and… leftover are divine, especially where more butter is involved.
This feels like the week we all realized that the year is very quickly coming to a close. I feel like I’m trying to tie up loose ends and keep the the ends that aren’t loose together somehow.
How are you feeling? Follow up: how many times have you watched the Mariah Carey Christmas Special (it’s on Netflix, fyi). The offering this week is below. As always, pour the coffee nice and hot and take what you need from here.
• Consider this opinion: The Cruelty Is The Point. How can we be better? (The Atlantic)
• A very good reminder that there are stories everywhere, always: The Way Home (California Sunday Magazine)
• How A 6 Year Old Survived Being Lost In The Woods. A sweet baby boy walked himself out of the forest. He was born bold. This is an interesting read! (Outside)
• Reading lists are some of my favorite reading. A narrowed list from the New York Times: 10 Best Books of 2018.
• This is not important but I’m just going to leave it here in case you, like me, think this might actually be just a little bit important, ok? A Quick Drama Refresh to Prepare for Vanderpump Rules Season 7. (The Cut)
• Toby is the coolest mom and she knows what’s GOOD: Pop Culture Cheat Sheet: December. (What’s Up Moms)
• I can’t think of a reason not to: Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Cheddar Beer Sauce (Joy the Baker)
• When dearheart Ashley came to visit New Orleans in support of her new book Let’s Stay In, we went to lunch at Turkey and The Wolf where they have some of the very best sandwiches in the world (that’s not an exaggeration). Ashley went home and made of of their signature sandwiches: Turkey and The Wolf’s Collard Green Melt. (Not Without Salt)
• I love the food diaries in Grub Street – enjoy this with Stacy Adimando from Saveur Magazine. (The Cut)
• I’ve never really been a fan of mulled wine, but I think I’ve been doing it wrong. Swedish Mulled Wine (Tasting Table)
• Things I made this week that I did not take copious amounts of pictures of: Lemon Poppyseed Layer Cake (Broma Bakery)
• If you’ve got gift-giving on the brain, consider this Nasty Woman 2019 day planner from Shrill Society. I’m treating myself! (Shrill Society)
I hope you enjoy today.
My love to you.