It’s feeling a little buzzy around my house this week as I get ready for houseguests. The incomparable Erin McDowell is coming to stay a few days – dreams, really. We’re going to make pies (and see about Drake-ing them), teach a class of Easter breads, dye Easter eggs, and generally throw flour around the kitchen for two good days. My mom is coming to visit just after Erin and I fully plan to cook her ever meal and convince her to teach me how to sew. It’s a full week, mostly in the kitchen which is exactly what I love.
Here is a collection of spring recipes I made for us last year. I’m on to a new batch of spring recipes to share with you this year, but I thought this might be a nice reminder of last year’s adventures. Maybe you’ve got houseguests to prepare for this week – these recipes might offer some inspiration and ease (I’m specifically thinking the Browned Butter Carrot Loaf – it’s simple and fresh for days!). Happy baking days to you!
• A Spring Pea Veggie Burgers that’s bright green, bean-filled, tender, and filling in the belly. I think this is a dream of a burger especially with spicy watercress and ripe avocado. Is this a salad on a bun? Just about.
• Chocolate Sprinkle Crinkle Cookies – these are those magic brownie cookies, crisp around the edges and wonderfully chewy inside. Sprinkles make then that much better. I can’t be wrong about that.
• Mmmkay I know this sounds wild but come with me on this one: Carrot Caramel Ice Cream Sundaes! I made caramel with carrot juice instead of water and the result is deep orange and rich, sweet, and lightly vegetal. It’s delicious over creamy vanilla bean ice cream. Add something crunchy and it’s the perfect bite!
• Fully next level doughnuts made just so with sliced sweet berries and soft whipped cream. These are a weekend dream: Strawberry Shortcake Strawberry Doughnuts
• Think of these Peanut Butter and Jelly Petit Fours and low-brow very fancy cakes. They’re time intensive and the glaze drove me bananas but they were absolutely worth it! The dense sponge cake is very versatile so bookmark this recipe anytime you want to stack and slice cake squares. Let the glaze to just a top drizzle to make things easier.
• The most popular recipe on my site last year were these Strawberry Pie Bars. It’s an easy bar and crumble recipe using fresh strawberries (hallelujah, amen). The secret ingredient is instant tapioca used to thicken the juicy strawberries until they’re just set.
• It’s festival season in New Orleans and 9 times out of 10 I have a Fried Shrimp Po Boys in my weekend bike bag.
• I know banana bread is all seasons but springtime is a nice time to swap finely grated carrots for bananas in this soft everyday loaf cake: Browned Butter Carrot Loaf.
• Making a strong case for buying a set of those five small cake pans because they stack up so nicely into thid decadent Grain-Free Chocolate Raspberry Cake. I’ve made this twice just for me… just sayin.
I hope you’ve found a recipe or two to take to the kitchen! A new recipe coming later this week!