Hello friends! It’s Sunday, let’s do this!
This week we turned my house into the tiniest cooking school, yet again. This time we welcomed Zoe Francois into The Bakehouse for a weekend of puff pastry and pie crust. It’s been tremendous so far and Zoe and I are both patting ourselves on the back, walking 8 people through puff pastry in 4 hours. Really, it’s a thrill to share my kitchen with a pastry chef I’ve admired for years. The reminder is that we can make our very own dreams come true and wow those dreams are also hard work, wow!
I hope this week finds you well, holding steady, clear eyes, full hearts – the whole deal.
This week’s offering is below. A little about Tom Hanks, a bit about pregnancy and toddlers, and a lot of recipe links because I wrote this while hungry.
Take what you need and take good care.
• It’s always so much more than we could imagine. In honor of last week’s Veteran’s Day holiday, please read this: The Endless Recovery From the Endless War (New York Magazine)
• This Tom Hanks Story Will Help You Feel Less Bad thank goodness. This is a companion piece to last week’s article of Mr Rogers. (The New York Times)
• Thinking about thinking, plus math. It’s three parts interesting and a two parts intimidating. The Myth and Magic of Generating New Ideas. (The New Yorker)
• Mmmkay. Mmmkay. I’ll take this information and see if I can figure it all out in time. The Truth About Pregnancy Over 40. (The New York Times)
• This is really so funny: Toddler Feelings Helpline. (McSweeneys)
• In sweet news: Cows Need Friends To Be Happy. (The Atlantic)
• Here’s something you might not know about me: I’m obsessed with stories of mountain climbing and bank robberies. I can’t explain it though if I were to try I’d say they’re both things that I’d love to do and probably won’t because of fear and illegalities. I sure can read about them though. Next up on my reading list is this doozy of a tale: Norco ’80: The True Story of The Most Spectacular Bank Robbery in American History. (Amazon)
• Friends. It is time for the best pie of the year: Dad’s Sweet Potato Pie – 2 new ways! (Joy the Baker)
• Currently covet: Deb’s Perfect Apple Tarte Tatin (Smitten Kitchen)
• One the menu for this weekend is this simple pork chop from Bon Appetit: Cast Iron Skillet Pork Chops. I’m in it for the garlic and sage.
• In a surprise to all of us, turkey gravy makes excellent caramel. Consider this post Thanksgiving (and maybe stash some gravy to the side): Turkey Gravy Salted Caramels. (Joy the Baker)
• I’ve been thinking a lot about my holiday decorations this year. I think I’m going to do a citrus and greens theme. Classic and seasonal but not overly red and green… ya know? I’m going to make a Dried Orange Garland and I’m suddenly absolutely smitten with this DIY Beaded Blanket Holder. (Francois et Mois)
• Here’s a thing you didn’t know you needed: Cashmere Bandana. (Everlane)
Have the most wonderful Sunday.
My love to you!