I’m on a high from one of the best Thanksgiving days ever. My parents came to New Orleans, bringing with them some of the finest Southern California weather. They helped me hustle the Bakehouse together into a little wonder of a Thanksgiving home with dinner outdoors, drinks on the patio, every detail accounted for… and they only had to endure me being terribly bossy for two short days to make it all happen. Their presence and patience is the true holiday miracle and I’m so so thankful. Friends came through with the most generous dishes to contribute and we all shared some hearty laughs around the table. It was real. It feels like a holiday we’ll all remember fondly (so the bossiness was worth it, right?).
I hope you’ve found some good feels through this holiday weekend. It’s official. We’re hurtling towards the December holidays and the New Year and, most importantly: Mardi Gras. Gosh… what did I look forward to before living in New Orleans? It’s hard to remember.
The offering this week is below. Please take what you need and know that I wish you well.
• We read a story like this last week. Here is proof that homelessness may look different that we think: 3 kids. 2 jobs. No home.
• Sometimes it’s hard to know what to do or how to help. Thanks goodness Giving Tuesday is coming up. We can always find a way. (GivingTuesday.org)
• Just decided I’m only dating BASE jumpers from here on out. Just kidding, mom and everyone. The secret BASE jumpers of California (The San Francisco Chronicle)
• Currently reading and enjoying this little thriller: The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. (Amazon)
• I’ll be gifting this sweet book this year: Snippets of New Orleans by Emma Fick (Amazon)
• You know I’m always here to read about someone else’s skin care routine: Why Is Your Skin So Good? (The Cut)
• Turning my vision of a white and citrus Christmas into a reality and crafted with my mom and Suzonne this fine holiday weekend. Mom and I made a bowl full of crepe paper oranges. I don’t have a tutorial because I just figured it out as I went, but Lia Griffith has a simplified version of my crepe paper oranges. (Lia Griffith)
• More seasonal crepe paper work: How To Make Crepe Paper Poinsettias. (Joy the Baker)
• I’m ready for Winter Lemonade with ginger and cloves. (Joy the Baker)
• In very different news, my heart and spirit are body ready for Homemade Egg Nog with Rum. (Joy the Baker)
• Florida Dog… (The Washington Post)
• Head over to my Instagram today for a giveaway of some of the sweetest, food-centered, giving-minded jewelry company: Delicacies Jewelry! There are some really lovely gifting moments here PLUS 25% off with code: joythebaker. (DelicaciesJewelry)
My love to you, bigtime.