I like to challenge myself. Yesterday’s challenge was pizza-related – and I’ll tell ya – many of my challenges involve yeast, flour and a very hot oven.. The challenge was whether or not I could make a homemade pizza faster than a pizza delivery dude could bring a pie to my house.
It’s like a race against my very self, challenge accepted, and the reward and the pizza.
The challenge is based on the idea that you might find yourself 30 minutes away from dinnertime with pizza in mind. What’s the fastest homemade route? Well it starts with a craving, Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast™, and sauce, cheese and broccoli.
The topping for this particular pizza is inspired specifically by the spicy, garlic-y, bitter broccoli found on top of a Philly Roast Port Sandwich. I skipped the pork on this pizza because that spicy broccoli is secretly my favorite part and feels very much like an overlooked pizza topping.
This recipe is made in partnership with Fleischmann’s Yeast™. I hope it inspired you to take on a yeasty baking adventure this week! You’ll be surprised how fast and simply it all comes together!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• All-purpose flour, a generous tablespoon of sugar, and a dash of salt.
• Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast™. It’s fast-acting and super reliable and will get us from zero to pizza in really so little time.
• Olive oil to add a supple fat to the pizza crust.
• Broccoli rabe, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes to top our pizza.
• Pizza sauce and sliced provolone cheese, salt and pepper – classics.
In a medium bowl (I used my stand mixer, though you can totally bring this pizza dough together by hand) combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
Add the warm water and olive oil. Using a spatula, stir the wet ingredients into the dry, into a shaggy dough that the dough hook can grab ahold of. Knead on medium speed for about 4 minutes, adding a bit more flour to create a smooth ball that gathers around the dough hook in the bowl.
If you’re bringing the dough together by hand, stir and knead into a relatively smooth dough, adding a bit more flour if the dough feels too sticky.
Look at this gorgeously smooth pizza crust. The rise is already at work. Let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.
While the dough rises for a few minutes, bring together the broccoli topping.
I chopped broccoli rabe into bite-size pieces, added minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes.
Saute the mixture in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the broccoli is bright green and softened and the garlic is fragrant.
Roll out the pizza crust to a generous 1/4-inch thick and round. The dough will be pliable and feel alive as you roll it.
Spread generously with pizza sauce, leaving a 1-inch border for the crust.
Top with shredded cheese and broccoli pieces.
Add a bit more cheese too if you’re feeling it.
Bake at high heat until golden brown, until the cheese is melted and the broccoli is charred, until the crust is bubbled just slightly.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and enjoying!
Pizza challenge complete! This pizza came together seamlessly – I think faster than a delivery could have come to me. Plus it’s piping hot from the oven and made simply, with my favorite toppings. Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast™ cuts the time between craving pizza and eating pizza down to 30 minutes – a wonder, really!
All you’ve got to do is pizza-dream-it! Happy Baking!Print
Spicy Broccoli Rabe Pizza with Easy 30 Minute Crust
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Total Time: 0 hours
For the Crust:
- 1 3/4 – 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Fleischmann’s® Pizza Crust Yeast or Fleischmann’s® RapidRise Yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the Toppings:
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small bundles broccoli rabe
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add very warm water and oil; mix until well blended, about 1 minute. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky. Knead on a floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes. (If using RapidRise Yeast, let dough rest at this point for 10 minutes.)
- In a medium saucepan heat olive oil. Add broccoli rabe and garlic and saute until brightly green and lightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add a good pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and toss. Remove from heat and assemble the pie.
- Pat dough with floured hands to fill greased pizza pan or baking sheet. OR roll dough on a floured counter to 12-inch circle; place in greased pizza pan or baking sheet. Form a rim by pinching the edge of the dough.
- Spread with pizza sauce. Top with broccoli rabe and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake on lowest oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned.
- Slice into 8 slices and enjoy!