Hello sweet friends,
I’m glad we made it here to this moment.
This week I’ve been focusing hard on the things right in front of me. You know? The world is spinnin’ real wild, but the small things of an everyday life have to get done. I’ve had those in focus – checking the front garden for caterpillars, watching my sunflower bloom, giving Tron extra time under the covers in the morning, cleaning the closet, willing myself to clean the pantry. I’m taking a small view maybe as an act of self preservation.
Are you well? Are you able to take a rest today?
This week’s humble offering is below. As always, take only what you need. You’re here and I’m thankful.
• Good grief. We are unwell and this virus continues to tell us about ourselves. A Devastating New Stage of the Pandemic. (The Atlantic)
• This will stay with me. This should stay with all of us. You Want a Confederate Monument? My Body Is a Cofedereate Monument. (The New York Times)
• Can Domestic Abusers Keep Themselves Accountable When No One Is Watching. (The New Yorker)
• On poker, luck, and understanding uncertainty: Poker Taught Me How to Deal With the Hand of Fate. ( The New York Times)
• Please take on this week’s long read: The First Year Out. (Marie Claire)
• I love Roxanne Gay in the kitchen. (Bon Appetit)
• Speaking of kitchen victories, you have Julia Turshen’s very thoughtful cookbook don’t you? Small Victories (Indiebound)
• I was gifted this book this week and I especially love a used book, passed on with care: All The Lives I Want by Alana Massey. (Amazon)
• This is definitely a sleeper recipe on Joy the Baker – No Bake Tres Leches Cake made with layers of graham crackers that soften to the most lovely, cake-like texture. This is your 4th of July dessert – dress it up with fresh strawberries and blueberries and have a time. (Joy the Baker)
• Wait was this the song you needed today? (YouTube)
• Last year this week, here’s where we were: Let It Be Sunday, 228. Some good words on Alanis, music for plants, and love at the dog park. (Joy the Baker)
Take good care of yourself today.
My love to you.