Hello dear friends! Happy Sunday!
I’m feeling very much under the weather this week. Gosh as soon as I whipped that mask off I caught a nasty cold. It’s downright silly how debilitating a common cold can be and I’ve been trying to force myself to work through it which… well it hasn’t served me. Denial doesn’t seem to be working.
I’ll be better by Monday is what I’ve told myself.
How does this week find you?
The offering this week is below. I hope you find a few things you enjoy. As always, take only what you need.
• Burnout: Modern Affliction or Human Condition Friends, I think I might be under the shade of the juniper tree whispering ‘Enough’ but it’s probably just this bad cold. Either way Imma be ok, absolutely. (The New Yorker)
• I’m very much looking forward to the new Netflix series “High on the Hog”. Here’s why it matters: The Profound Significance of ‘High on the Hog’ (The New York Times)
• I’ve preordered Rebel Homemaker by Drew Barrymore. She’s got real charm. (Amazon)
• I want to pick up I Want To Thank You by Gina Hamadey this week. I love the idea of this gratitude practice. I love the idea of sending letters. My dad ordered me a bunch of stamps because he thought I’d like the designs (he was right, duh) and if that’s not reason enough to start this thank you letter binge, I don’t know what is. (Indiebound)
• This week I found inspiration from Tara Jensen @bakershands on Instagram. She made strawberry handpies and an all-butter pie crust with frozen butter in a way I’ve never seen. I’m going to spend my Sunday morning baking with the same technique making my Simple Jam Hand Pies. Just a little reminder that even when you think you know, there’s so much to learn. (Instagram, Joy the Baker)
• Played this song on repeat so many times I memorized it: Bluebird by Miranda Lambert. (Spotify)
• These bed linens are such a swoon (and a splurge): Society of Wanderers linen sheets.
• I have flowers and greens I pressed early panini last year and this is reminding me to do a little something with them: 3 Methods for Pressing Flowers (House that Lars Built)
• I could absolutely live in this Luisa Dress. (Sezane)
• Baked beans is my chosen summer barbecue side dish (alongside potato salad of course). These Root Beer Baked Beans I made years ago are FANTASTIC! I think I’ll try it in the instant pot this season. (Joy the Baker)
• Don’t these look dreamy? Sprouted Kitchen’s Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups. (Sprouted Kitchen)
• The Bakehouse is hosting a Virtual Peach Cobbler Class this Father’s Day weekend. Dad’s love cobbler is just a fact so get in on this class with us!
Enjoy your Sunday!
My love to you!
I hope that you feel better soon. It can be trying to work through a cold. I hope that you are able to rest and get rid of it.
Oh my gosh, those sheets are lovely. Such inviting colors.
I knew I shouldn’t have clicked the sheet link, so adorable!
Every healthcare provider/nurse etc have mentioned that we did not have much of a cold or flu season last year. Yes, those masks work! Sorry to hear about your cold, they can be very draining. Tea and Tron is my prescription:). Can’t wait for Drew Barrymore’s new book. Fun! I always freeze my butter, because I don’t bake too often. I blend my pie crust in my food processor. It works a charm and all the ingredients stay very cold. I’m kind of the pie queen in my circle. That dress is adorable, you should buy it immediately. Hope your cold is gone soon. Thank you for another thoughtful Sunday post.
Take care, rest and feel better soon.
Joy, I’m not typically a Miranda Lambert fan but have you heard the Marfa Tapes yet? It’s folksy in the best way. It may help you to relax while you recover from that cold.
Feel better – here’s a couple of songs I’ve been obsessing on – Joy Oladuken: Who Do I Turn To and War and Treaty: Beautiful. I just love it when a song gets under my skin like that…
I have been teaching 4 year olds in person all year. Because of the masks, we haven’t had any kids out with the usual childhood sicknesses until the last month. I think its a combination of everyone’s immune system getting to relax a little this year, and then having the adults around them wearing their masks less. It will take us a while to recover from this year, physically and emotionally. Hope you feel better!
My COVID case felt just like a head cold…nothing more. Hope you got tested, just in case. Thanks for all your great posts!
I hope you feel better, Joy! Thank you for the selection this week. I see a few things that sparked my interest. Happy Sunday!
Ugh! Colds can make you feel so unwell. I plan to keep wearing my mask in public indoor spaces. I have so many pretty ones. I am fully vaccinated, but I question the honor system. Too many people who were against wearing masks are also the anti Vaxers.
Feel better and peach cobblers are heavenly.
Ditto! I’m afraid my faith in human kind is a bit lacking…
Feel better soon Joy!!
Joy, thank you for your offering this week! I hope you are feeling better soon. Even though I am fully vaccinated, I think I’ll continue to wear my mask in the grocery store. I’ve enjoyed a winter season without a cold nor flu.