I just got off a video call with a friend in Connecticut. She gave me a tour of her PORCH PUMPKINS and wow, friends. I’d like to congratulation each and every one of you who has porch enough for pumpkins. It’s a lifestyle. And I hear that pumpkin are $8 each at Trader Joe’s? Listen… I don’t know if that’s a deal or not but your porches are pumpkin stacked and precious. So far, the only pumpkins I’ve bought this year have been canned, but I’m working my way up to real deal gourds. To get myself in the mood I’ve gathered the 8 best pumpkin recipes for fall. We’ve got everything from pie to dinner and now, if you’ll excuse me… I’m going to blow half of my grocery budget on pumpkins.
• Last year’s pumpkin pie adaptation was a Cajun inspired Pumpkin Tarte a la Bouille: a sweet cookie crust filled with a creamier than usual pumpkin filling, topped with cookie crust coins. The tart is baked in a removable bottom tart pan which somehow makes all pie-liked baked goods feel more fancy. If you’ve ever felt intimidated by all-butter pie crust – THIS is the pie for you. The crust is super durable and any cracks made in rolling out the crust can literally just be patched back together. Also – it’s DANG DELICIOUS.
• Our pumpkin-for-dinner offering is pasta forward. Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage: a savory pumpkin sauce with sage and chili powder, a dash of nutmeg, spicy sausage, and fresh goat cheese. It’s SO satisfying. Forget takeout, save this recipe for Sunday Scary Movie Night.
• Here’s what I do with a half a can of leftover pumpkin puree. Meal prep it as breakfast for the next few days! Spiced Pumpkin and Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding
• These Pumpkin Buns with Pastry Cream are tender little milk buns that make for a nice weekend baking project. They’re as fun to make as they are to share. Not terribly sweet but perfect with a cup of black coffee.
• I took a long hard think about what could possibly make pumpkin pie better than it already is and I figured out the answer. The answer is chocolate whipped cream. Serve this pie cold. It’s best for breakfast if I’m being honest. Pumpkin Pie with Chocolate Whip
• Tiramisu is the best make-ahead dessert and we have the power to make it pumpkin. Maybe the trickiest part of this Pumpkin Spice Tiramisu is getting ahold of Marsala and lady fingers, but the rest of the recipe comes together rather simply. If you see me standing at the open fridge this fall season, that’s just me eating this tiramisu straight from the pan. Pay me no mind.
• These Cacao Brownie Thins with Salted Pumpkin Seeds don’t have pumpkin puree but the seeds still count! These are some of the best brownie treats I’ve ever made and their more healthful than other brownie recipes. Sweetened with maple syrup and flavored with a hint of smoky paprika. I’ve also made these brownies with a gf flour blend and they’re equally delicious.
• I don’t make a lot of cheesecake around here, but when I do I go all out: Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Pumpkin Cheesecake. (They freeze well baked, too!)
I hope you find some inspiration in my best pumpkin recipes for fall. This is the offering. I hope you fill your home with baked pumpkin smells and your porch with festive fancy gourds.
Photos with my friend Jon Melendez over the years. xo