Hello friends and welcome to your Sunday. I have a feeling it’s going to be a beautiful one!
This past week I was in Los Angeles spending time with family! We hadn’t seen my little sister Lauren in two years (ugh panini) so we celebrated her trip down to Southern California with dad’s enchiladas and guacamole and eating outside in the backyard. We were also able to celebrate my Uncle Dan’s birthday and experience Will Smith’s slap together as a family. What even. We don’t need to talk about it more than that. We ate loads of ice cream, watched The Crown (I still find that show very confusing) on a rare rainy afternoon and my mom, dad and sister all took me to the airport after my short visit. The best part: the four person family hug my mom insisted upon at the airport curb. I feel like my parents have done such a good job reinforcing our family at every turn. I’m so thankful.
Anyway – maybe you didn’t need to know the moment-to-moment breakdown of my family visit but here we are. I wanted to remind you of the new faces we have around here. Abby, Toby, Jon and Kim work so hard alongside me to make Joy the Baker what it is and I’m really proud that this space has expanded with voices that I admire so much. Be sure to look at the author line just under the title of the post to see whose words you’re reading and thank you for welcoming them here.
Your Sunday offering is below. I hope you find something here you need and enjoy:
• If you were in a rock band, which band member would you be? The lead singer? The bass player? The drummer? The guitar player? Are you on the keys or the tambourine? Oh maybe a backup singer? When you picture yourself rocking out, completely free – who are you? I feel like the answer tells me a lot about your personality (or at least, the personality of the most free version of yourself). Me? I’m the drummer. But in my imagination I’m not just any rock drummer, I’m my absolute favorite rock drummer, Taylor Hawkins seen here playing my favorite Taylor Hawkins drums in my favorite Foo Fighters song. Taylor passed away this week and gah, we’ve lost a good dude. (YouTube)
• When Are You Really An Adult? I sway in and out adulthood. I’m an adult on and around April 15th. I’m an adult when I have to remember to pay flood insurance in the middle of hurricane season every year. I’m adult for linking the next article, but otherwise I’m just a kid waiting for the ice cream truck to come around.
• Here’s How an Algorithm Guides A Medical Decision . Do you ever just feel like, who are we and what is happening? Me neither. (The Verge)
• Speaking of ice cream, nobody asked but Abby and I ate a bunch of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream and gave you our thoughts in this Jeni’s Ice Cream review. Check out Jeni’s cookbooks for ice cream and desserts if you want to make it at home. That way you can have ice cream ALL THE TIME. That’s never a bad thing right? (Joy the Baker, Amazon)
• Someone is out here doing the Lord’s work: I Get Paid to Go on Fake Dates With People to Prepare Them for Real Ones (Vice)
• Much to Dwight Yoakam’s dismay, Demand For Safe Rooms Skyrockets in Los Angeles. That was probably a joke for me alone and I’m ok with that.
• Incidentally this is my favorite Dwight Yoakam song: Ain’t That Lonely Yet. Also, I’m sorry this took a real Dwight Yoakam turn. No one could have predicted that. (Spotify)
• We’ve Underestimated Sprinkles but to be fair, I’ve had a strong sprinkle game for years now. (Taste)
• My friend Cara and I text yelled about this culty podcast for a full week: Twin Flames Podcast. (Wondery)
• One of the most underrated recipes here on JtB is this Cheeseburger Fried Rice, a recipe I developed inspired by one of the best American Chinese food restaurants in my New Orleans neighborhood, Red’s Chinese. I’m not sure that restaurant is open anymore (ugh panorama), so I’m thankful I have this to hold on to.
• My friend Edd made the buns of my dreams. Chocolate Passion Fruit Buns That thin layer of chocolate glaze!? Get outta here. (The Boy Who Bakes)
• This picture of strawberries has me very excited for this spring and summer. Here’s one of my favorite easy strawberry recipes if you’re in the mood: Tiny Strawberry Cream Scones. (Instagram, Joy the Baker)
• I feel like I’m in need of some sort of fitness challenge/30 Day Challenge – should I learn how to jump rope and d the splits. I also really love these Wworkouts on Instagram: Training Wheels Fitness.
• This pretty Palm Leaf Wreath tutorial on House That Lars Built is sweet and approachable.
Enjoy your Sunday, friends! I hope it’s a lovely one!
My love to you.