Hey friends! We’re gonna talk about cats. I’ve recently adopted an adult cat buddy named Wylie (that’s my handsomely whiskered man up there) and y’all. What was I doing before this? How did my life not include a cat until now?! I’m almost mad at myself for waiting this long. Part of my casual magical powers include babies and puppies. They just seem to… find me. It’s hard to explain but ask my friends, they’ll vouch for the vibes. I figured I’m a dog person through and through. Turns out I’m approaching cats all wrong. You approach dogs like extroverts – smile, sniff, and you basically have a buddy immediately. You approach cats like introverted adults – you sit across from each other staring until one of you says, “Blanket fort?” and THEN you have a buddy.
I am happy to be part of the cat lady movement. I really think it’s the secret to happiness. The stereotype of the cat lady is living without men and with a bunch of cats. Literal heaven! Also, if you have an orange cat, I hope you’re seeking therapy. You’re gonna be okay, and we’re here to support you.
It’s February and this month is jam packed with events. The Grammys, the Super Bowl, the more important Puppy Bowl, Valentine’s Day, Mardi Gras, AND Black History Month. Whew! So much to do, so little time. I hope this week’s links bring you a welcome break from this month’s impending busyness. As Joy always says, take only what you need. Let’s get into it!
• I know Kim waxed poetic about Aubrey Gordon’s new release, which was entirely appropriate, but when I have feelings about my body I turn to Ashley C. Ford. While this article isn’t new, her words about how her partner helped her see her body in a different way is always a balm. (Joy the Baker, Cup of Jo)
• New year, new book recommendations! You know I like a little spice so here’s a couple to get you through. Please tell me you’re on the Sarah J. Maas train because it is a-chuggin’. If you’re wanting a lady-lady romance, this shower scene will do things to ya I’m just saying. (Bookshop.org)
• Calling Harry Potter fans! We’re checking in on Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley), who is all grown up and showing us another facet of himself as an actor. It feels like an update on your little brother who now has an adult job and responsibilities. (Bustle)
• The brilliant Roxane Gay gives us a glimpse into Pam Anderson, of all people, and how she is writing her own story on her own terms. I love Roxane’s writing and this pulled me in instantly. (The Cut)
• I made just 2 chocolate chip cookies last week, and have made them 3 times since. Send help, but know I will not open the door to let anyone in. So. (Joy the Baker)
• Are you a fan of Keith Lee? He reviews restaurants around his home in Las Vegas and has genuinely exploded in popularity. If your restaurant gets a review by him it goes viral instantly and profits go up. I am part of the Keith Lee hive. (TikTok)
• Speaking of the hive, Beyoncé announced the dates for her world tour this year. Freaking out is not the appropriate term for how I’m feeling. Spiraling. I am SPIRALING. I will not be okay until I secure that ticket! (Instagram)
• Okay, I’m going to sound old, but where do you find tops? Seriously! I cannot find a top that is not a) a crop top, b) a bodysuit, or c) somehow both?! I mean sweater sets are coming back into fashion — I can’t do this! If you need me I’ll be in this dress praying the fashion cycle changes quickly. (Hanifa)
Welcome to the cat club! That dress is the blue is calling my name.
Oh my gosh! I am so happy to hear you have joined the society of humans owned by their cats! We all start out being “normal” and before long they have as much furniture as we do. One of my cats has claimed a chair and the other has an entire end of the couch. What a lot of people have wrong is that you have to love either cats or dogs. That is poppycock. You can love whomever and whatever you chose to love. I hope you and Wylie have a long and loving relationship.
When I have feelings of any kind, Ashley C Ford is always the answer. Her newsletter had a great piece about anger that I think about often. I LOVE ASHLEY.
I am also a orange cat owner, and my girl is a sun lover. I woke up in the middle of the night last night, a full moon, to find my girl sitting in a patch of bright moonlight, clearly hoping to warm her bones. She was not impressed to find that moonlight is not the same as sun.
He is adorable! I have 2 orange cats, you are right. They are crazy. But they come when I call them and if I ask a question they meow back!
And you forgot the Kitten Bowl. Which I used to love. Now I think it’s the Great American Rescue Bowl, with both dogs & cats
Abby, you’re a joy of another sort to have here on Sunday and Wylie looks like you just surprised the heck out of him. Or else he caught you doing something that shocked him.
Thank you! And that is his eyes at all times I don’t know why LOL
Omg Wylie is so cute!! I also recently jumped on the cat lady train and I am obsessed now. I love dogs and always assumed I’d get one eventually (and I probably will) but having a cat is THE BEST and I just made her a castle out of cardboard boxes.
The tops comment. YESSSS. Why does the women’s department at Target just look like… baby clothes? I don’t know what to do about it.
It’s terrible!!! and MADDENING
Great post! <3
For shirts, I usually think about what I already have shirt-wise that looks good on me. Example: mock neck tees. Then I use either poshmark or depop and search "mock neck t" and add my sizes and such, and scroll through until something catches my eye. This has really worked for me during this *why is new fashion SO ugly* era, and is usually less expensive than the alternative. xoxoxo
Oh you are brilliant as heck. I love this! Ya girl is STRUGGLING over here
I will not stand for orange cat slander! :) But seriously, Wylie is a beaut!
Here here! Mine’s awesome (and looks like he could be Tron’s brother)! I did read somewhere that orange cats are either awesome or a-holes though… maybe she’s only ever known the second variety. Wylie looks lovely though!
LOL! I promise there’s no slander. My girlfriend has an orange cat, Charlie Brown and he is sweet and a full on menace to society at once it’s WILD. I promise I love them!!!
Welcome to the cat person club! Cats are pretty great. I wish you many many years of cozy cuddles and the best excuse to break plans: “I’ve got a cat on my lap”.
Congrats! I love my cat Henry
I’ve also been waiting for that cropped trend to vacate. Whyyyyyy?
Ugh, I have been lusting over that brand (Hanifa) and specifically that sweater dress. Tell me it’s cozy and not itchy?
I can tell you it’s a dream. It feels like… cozy luxury. Like in a movie… maybe I committed some heinous criminal act and came home, put this on, and poured myself a glass of wine about it. IT’S SO GOOD PLEASE BUY IT
wylie is adorable and so glad that you found each other!
I really loved reading this piece this Sunday morning. Happy you are on the Let it be Sunday train.
Aw thank you! I’m enjoying myself and love connecting with y’all!!
My what big, gorgeous eyes you have Wylie! Congrats on bringing a non human member in to your family – it’s so worth it! ;)
Abby, you are a delight! Never have I ever wanted a cat (or any animal for that matter) and now I’m contemplating. Your writing and story telling is magic. More please!
Aw thank you! If you can find a cat cafe to visit I highly recommend it. Gives you a feel for what kind of cat you’d vibe with! I really never thought I would get a cat and now I can’t live without this tiny meowing man in my home haha