Ok the truth of the matter is, I still have my Christmas decorations up. It’s embarrassing but the potted tree is still covered in lights and cartoon cutout snowflakes and the windowsills are lined in nearly petrified garland and beads. The task of dismantling the decorations is a small one that has slipped my grasp, like an astronaut drifting off into deep space that happens in every space movie ever. Byeee George Cloooonneeeeyyy.
I don’t know when the decorations will come down. I don’t know who will take them down. I don’t know how they’ll come undone and I can accept the fact that some things are just a mystery. Just kidding. At some point my embarrassment will outweigh my avoidance but that time has yet to arrive.
If there’s anything you’re avoiding like the plague we’re actively living through, just imagine me and my cartoon snowflakes out here having the audacity to thrive. We’ll get it sorted one of these fine days.
The offering this week is below, or you could just pop to the kitchen and make a small batch of Chocolate Beet Cupcakes pictured above. As always, take what you need.
• You can imagine that, as a forty something unmarried woman, I’ve happily spent many thousands of dollars on bachelorette parties, engagement gifts, wedding gifts, and baby shower gifts for friends who had made all of those decisions and milestones. Now, with all due respect, you will not find me supporting Starting Over with a Divorce Registry. It’s not reeeaaaalllyy about the money or the stuff, right? It’s about support and acceptance. But also – millennials en mass are reaching The Divorce Place and if there’s one thing I know about my generation it’s that, yes we’ll make a business about it but like… not everything needs to be commerce. (The Cut)
• There are so many poignant combinations of words in Carmen Maria Machado’s interview with Poet Laureate Ada Limon, Can Poetry Heal a Broken World? I won’t spoil any of them for you but suffice it to say, I’m constantly humbled by being a person with a body. Truly what a curiosity this human existence is. If we get to come back, I’m raising my hand to be a horse. (Elle)
• Are we ready to put Imposter Phenomenon on the shelf? Why Everyone Feels Like They’re Faking It (The New Yorker)
• I loved this podcast exploration into self-control and how it varies across situations. I’m side-eyeing me and the snooze button I abuse every morning. Why Is It So Hard to Resist Temptation? (Freakonomic)
• Also, check me out on the She’s My Cherry Pie podcast talking about, what else, cake and more cake, but most importantly, Everybody’s Chocolate Cake (Apple Podcasts, Joy the Baker)
• If I’m keeping score for myself, the last brave thing I did was learn how to ride a motorcycle (quickly and with other cars around me) and the joy it’s brought me was honestly, hard-fought. Pushing past the stories I tell myself about myself is some of the clunkiest most rewarding work, and this little series from @ingridfetell really nails it. If there’s anything in your heart that makes you so scared you just have to do it, make your curiosity bigger than your fear. Slowly, surely. (Instagram)
• Since my egg retrieval and fibroid surgery I’ve been reaching for every tool possible to bring my body and hormones back into some semblance of balance. If you ever want to talk about castor oil packs and acupuncture and infradian rhythms I’m no expert, but I am a woman with a body. I found this article put a finger on why the grind feels like Mt. Everest some days: Why Popular Time Management Strategies Don’t Work For Women. Honestly, I’ve never been much of a mountain climber so I’m changing the way my work flows each month where I can. (Flo Living)
• Related: I’ve made another batch of Seed Cycling Balls and while Period TikTok woulld have me believe that seeds alone wil balance my hormones that is not exactly the case for me. BUT they do help reduce symptoms of PMS and I’ll take every bit of support I can get. Also they’re a snack full of fiber and that’s just smarts. (Joy the Baker)
• I feel like we don’t talk about Egg Sandwiches enough. I would argue that an egg salad sandwich is a nourishing way to temporarily disassociate (but maybe that’s me revealing too much). (Joy the Baker)
• I’m currently unavailable to watch anything new to my brain which is why I’m watching Season 32 of Survivor for the 2nd time. If I were able to intake a fresh tale, I’d watch Pamela on Netflix. Have you? Did your heart break open a bit? Also dare we go for the iconic Pam lip? Asking for a friend jkjk asking for me. (Netflix and TikTok, I’m sorry)
Enjoy this day. My love to you.
Hey Joy – I’m a frequent reader and love the candor, warmth, and humor you bring to the internet. Your comment about the divorce registry isn’t sitting right with me, though. I agree that we live in a time of toxic capitalism, but divorce can be a massive financial hit. I think being brave enough to lean on your community when you’re rebuilding can be a direct response to thoughtless consumerism and a really lovely way to fight against a culture that encourages us to struggle (especially with $) in secret. Everyone should obviously make the choice that feels right for them and there will be complexities, but I have a hard time seeing a problem with helping out a friend going through a major life transition in the way that they prefer.
Hi I have a problem with the Netflix docudrama. Again no one bothered to get Pamela Anderson’s take or permission to talk about her life-so basically still taking advantage.
I heard Pamela Anderson interviewed on Armchair Expert and I think she was involved in Pamela, a love story. I think they did not involve her in the Pam & Tommy one.
Loving all your recipes! Not sure if you’re interested but I saw this shirt and I thought it would be perfect for you !
Keep sharing your amazing baking goods!
Totally none of my business, but I’ve recently been diagnosed with fibroids and been recommended to have a hysterectomy. I’m older than you, just turned 49 Saturday, and have two children through adoption. The brightest side of having cancer as a teenager. Anyway, I’m just trying to figure out the hysterectomy and if that’s the best or only option. Thanks for anywhere you can point me.