Friends, hello and Happy Easter Sunday!
I’m celebrating this fine day in two ways. One: I’m not wearing Easter tights, which, if you grew up going to Easter Sunday church service in a new dress but last year’s tights that were invariably too small – you understand the freedom and joy of not wearing tights on Easter. Two: Will and I are driving west towards a week long tent camping trip in Big Bend! It’s very on brand that I’m going out into the back country with wet wipes for a shower but a table cloth for our camping folding table. Everything is a bit dirty but it sure is nice!
I’m working on the Camp Joy cooking zine (a little print and digital book out at the start of summer) while I’m out camping in the desert with Will. A dreamy project helps me focus on the beauty around me. Well, as long as my camera batteries are full. I’m excited to put my eyes on all of it and bring it back to you as best I can.
The offering this week is below. I hope you can carve out a few moments for yourself this morning. Be here. Take only what you need.
• Determined contentment: The Finnish Secret to Happiness: Knowing When You Have Enough (The New York Times)
• Considering all the times I’ve cried in my car about my uterus after doctor’s appointments, this one hits close and I appreciate the honesty: The Unexpected Grief of a Hysterectomy (The New Yorker)
• Looking from the outside in, it seems like, over the past few years especially, something big is stirring in Nashville. Kim Baldwin (our boots on the ground and boot at Nashville Scene) highlighted Hamilton Matt Masters who photographs part of that stirring beautifully here. (Nashville Scene, The Blonde Mule, and Instagram)
• I had a well-stocked emergency kit in case of earthquakes when I lived in California. In New Orleans, my hurricane preparedness game was pretty strong with spare water, a go bag, and gas cans. Here in Houston, I’m acting like I don’t have a care in the world – rather, I’m acting like I have a boyfriend with a big truck just down the way. While that may be true, we must never be caught slippin’ so I’m going to up my emergency kit this month. (Apartment Therapy)
• I loved this compilation of ladies and admiration on Cup of Jo this week: An Ode to Women of Color which also includes our favorite editor, Abby! As always on Cup of Jo, don’t miss the comments!
• Speaking of snacks, my favorite splurge snack as of late is this Toodaloo Trail Mix! I’m a big car snacker… like I’m not interested in driving even just down the road without a snack and drink. This trail mix is a very yummy munch. (Toodaloo)
• I’m also deep within my Eat What’s in the Fridge Era and in the fridge this week was a large and ambitious bag of carrots. I made a big batch of Carrot Apple Ginger Soup. It’s slightly sweet with a hint of spice. It’s a sleeper hit of a spring soup (and I’m messin’ around on TikTok making it here). (Joy the Baker)
• In case you missed it this week, Abby vibed out at Trader Joe’s and here are her spring picks. (Joy the Baker)
• Have you noticed that everyone on the Internet is suddenly high-key into cottage cheese? I think the best iteration so far is Whipped Cottage Cheese made with Good Culture cottage cheese. (Epicurious and Good Culture)
• From Saveur, a new column called Snacky Hour, my favorite meal of the day! I’m taking a batch of Spicy Ranch Fire Crackers Camping and expect them to have disappeared by day two. (Saveur)
• Perhaps post-Easter egg salad is in order? (it’s me, Joy the Baker)
I was hungry when I wrote this week’s post. Enjoy your Sunday! Go have a snack.
My love to you, friends!
Each and every of these links spoke to me this week — especially the uterine grief. I suffered with my fibroids and those same decisions until I suddenly went into menopause for other unrelated medical reasons. That essay brought up a lot of feelings, including the question of WHYYYY we do not know more about this condition. (According to my many doctors throughout my life, old or young, male or female, we pretty much know nothing, so SOMETHING would be an improvement.) think I’ll go print out that carrot ginger soup recipe now. Thank you, Joy! ?
Oh man, I forgot about the terrible feeling of too small tights. Whew, glad to not have to experience that any more. I do miss the thrill of a fresh Easter dress though.
fitted sheets also make excellent camping table cloths