Friends! Hi, hello! Welcome to Sunday. I’ve missed you!
This week I’ve been back in New Orleans trying my best to put The Bakehouse back together after completing some construction on my old home and studio. I added a bathroom, a closet, and had the the entirety of the interior space painted. All of this is to say that, everything I own has been piled rather unceremoniously in the center of my house and in the center of all the bedrooms and… where do I start? It feels like I’m trying to unpack after moving in except I’m trying to unpack from a single mountain of items rather than a series of boxes.
It’s overwhelming and I can admit to walking more laps around the pile than actually unpacking it. I think I need… what’s the word I’m looking for here? Help. (Suzonne, if you’re reading this please consider it my SOS.)
I’m counting on the fact that time has a way of easing overwhelm, as does help from friends and takeout food, and deep breathing, and moving one book at a time until everything is up and sorted and The Bakehouse is ready to be the rentable retreat of my dreams.
But today, I’ll just freshen the sheets on the bed and enjoy the day. I hope you can take a small break from any of your overwhelm for at least a while today. Our links for reading are here in that spirit.
• Did I tell you I’m working on a zine (like a mini casual magazine) for you this summer? It’s features a few camping trips I’ve taken across Texas this spring along with all of the recipes for food I’ve made outdoors during those camps. It’s part journal, part cookbook, all summer go outside vibes. To celebrate the launch of the zine in June, I’m having a free baking class on Wednesday May 17th. We’ll bake bread in tin cans and preview the zine and just have a good ol’ time together! Sign up here for the Camp Joy Baking Class!
• I’m really enjoying the collection of interviews, essays, speeches and emails from Steve Jobs in book form. There’s also a picture of Steve on a motorcycle with his doc that is just a delight. Highly recommend this free read here: Make Something Wonderful. (Steve Jobs Archive)
• I always have a jar of Better Than Bouillon in the fridge (which I love), but the versatility described in this article on Food52 has me thinking I need to keep the powder stocked: Bouillon Powder is Your Pantry’s Secret Weapon. Also now fully inspired to make Heidi Swanson’s homemade vegan bouillon to keep in my camping kit. (Food52, 101 Cookbooks)
• Remember being home from school sick with a fever, laying on the living room couch with a Sprite watching the forbidden The Jerry Springer Show on television? Me too. Me too. 12 Wild Facts About the Jerry Springer Show (Mental Floss)
• Delighted by Kira Cook and her first Adult Spelling Bee: Be the Bee (Substack)
• Remember my collab with my dear friends at Delicacies Jewelry? Well we’re back with a little Mother’s Day love! My favorite Mother’s Day gifty moments are these sterling silver strawberries, these rose gold cherries, and these gold pretzels! You can shop the entire Joy Collection here and u se code Joy15 for 15% off your purchase. Get free 2-day FedEx shipping on orders over $125 so everything will arrive before Mother’s Day!
• I like the thought of a summer craft I can then carry around with me all autumn: Dreamweaver Tote (Hello Bargello)
• Just a reminder that this time last year I was eating leftover Oven Baked Pea and Pancetta Risotto straight from the fridge with zero regrets. (Joy the Baker)
• Danielle Walker’s Burnt Broccoli seasoning is so good on really, anything and everything. It’s a recent addition to my yogurt marinated chicken. (Danielle Walker)
• It’s the last chance to grab my mixes with Williams Sonoma as they’re shortly going away forever. My favorite Mocha Coffee Cake Mix and Chocolate Neapolitan Sheet Cake are on sale! (Williams Sonoma)
Have a lovely Sunday, friends!
My love to you.