Here are the scones we’ll be making together for Bakehouse Live this coming Friday, May 1st.
I can’t wait to bake with you!
BAKEHOUSE LIVE: Big Boy Scones
- 2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Optional Add-Ins:
- 1 tablespoon lemon or orange zest
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (or any dried fruit)
- 1/4 cup bourbon or rum to soak dried fruit
- 1/2 cup frozen and thawed wild blueberries
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 425° F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. (If using a citrus zest, add this now too!) Add the butter and use your hands to break the butter down into the dry ingredients. Some butter bits will be the size of small peas, others the size of oat flakes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to form a dough. Add 1 tablespoon more Greek yogurt as needed to get a soft, somewhat sticky dough. Fold in any additional ingredients.
- Scrape the dough out onto a floured work surface. Pat out into a rectangle just thinner than 1-inch thick. Roll the rectangle up jelly-roll style, folding the dough on top of itself. Cut the dough into about 6 triangles. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown and cooked through. Remove to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes.