Friends, hello! We made it to Sunday!
A week ago today I was slow running my butt down the road and back in Houston. I finally ran that half marathon I’ve been working towards for months. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! For years I had settled on the story that running that far wasn’t for me. I feel really proud for proving myself wrong.
The night before the race (we’re talking like 7:30pm) I wanted to go for a run to shake out my nerves. Will borrowed his mom’s tricycle bike, brought along a beer, and rode next to me through that 25 minute shake out run. It was the sweetest thing. Will also ran with me very early this year when I felt heavy footed and tortured and after riding with my run he mentioned that my running has really changed. I could have cried. This goal of mine has been mostly solitary. No one has really had eyes on my progress. It was really nice to be reminded of what I can feel in my body.
Anyway. I did the thing. Will cheered me on at three spots along the race. I’ve signed up for my next half marathon in New Orleans (and got Will to sign up, too!). It’s all very good and I’m grateful to YOU. Thank you for all of your encouragement. Your comments over the past few weeks really mean so much to me.
I’m glad you’re here! Here’s today’s offering. Thank you for being so welcoming to my friends Toby and Kim these past few weeks. I love their Sunday offerings and they’ll be back a few more times before the end of the year.
• This week I’ve been thinking a lot about energy. The burning energy that got me across the finish line in Houston and the missing energy that fully bonked work deadlines this week. It’s tangible and intangible. I found this to be incredibly interesting: Energy, And How To Get It (The New Yorker)
• I admire Cherry Bombe founder Kerry Diamond so much. She’s curious, brilliant, generous, chic, and lives in my mind as a classic New York woman. Here’s A Day In My Shoes: Kerry Diamond. “You have a lifetime to do things” which is an excellent reminder. (Tory Burch)
• Researches Just Compiled the Ultimate Playlist of Song That Will Give You Chills. For a shortcut, here’s the Spotify playlist. I’m going running to this next week and will report back on the chills. Chills or tears? Why does this happen? Thanks for sharing this, Suzonne! (Inc, Spotify)
• I fully freaked out this week when one of my favorite authors commented on one of my Instagram posts. Turns out she’s been lurking for years and WHAT!? Amazing. As recommended by Samantha Irby: No One Will Miss Her by Kat Rosenfield (Books A Million)
• When I was a personal assistant for two soap opera writers (did you know this!?) about a millions years ago, I was in charge of grocery shopping and cooking them dinner a few nights a week. Their favorite dinner was Beef Stroganoff made with sliced filet mignon. I mean yea… what’s not to love about that!? Jon’s Ground Beef Stroganoff reminded me of those days and fits into my food budget much better. (The Candid Appetite)
• Enjoy deez bees of Instagram. (Instagram)
• We have a new series together on Instagram. You ask me your big questions and with very little background information, I give you advice. Does that sound like a mess? It’s called The Spiral, lol. (Instagram):
• This week I downloaded this audiobook and I’m plotting my next discomfort (ugh does it have to me swimming?): The Comfort Crisis by Michael Easter. (Audible)
• Sezane makes my favorite blouses. (Sezane)
• I really had the most wonderful time making cake for those of you who came out to Williams Sonoma in Knoxville! Thank you THANK YOU for coming out! I learned about the Tennessee Volunteers. I met two Hannahs, Jaclyn, Tammy, Rebecca, Lisa, Aubrey, and a self-appointed mall enthusiast who told me this history of the mall and then called me weird. It was – well, it was great! I can’t wait to see you in Houston and Dallas coming up!
Have a wonderful Sunday, friends!
My love to you.