Steak and everything else sauce! Definitely don’t skip the espresso powder and add a bit of crushed red pepper flakes for added spice!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup beef broth (or water)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes until the onions are softened and translucent. Add garlic and parsley and sauté for 2 more minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Add ketchup, broth or water, Worcestershire sauce, espresso powder, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can carefully transfer the mixture to an upright blender, cover, and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean mason jar and allow to rest until cooled to room temperature. Seal with a lid and store in the refrigerator. Serve on grilled steak. Sauce will last in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.