Vegan Banana Pecan Muffins
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Total Time: 0 hours
- Yield: makes 12 muffins 1x
For Flax Seed Egg
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
For the Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 12 pecan halves, for topping
- First make the flax seed egg. In a small bowl stir together ground flax seeds, water, and baking powder. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, flax eggs, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla, and coconut oil until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Stir in the pecans. Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until thoroughly combined and no flour bits remain at the bottom of the bowl.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups in the prepared baking pan. Top each muffin with a pecan piece. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until each muffin is cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing from the pan and placing on a wire rack to cool completely. Or, serve warm with coffee. Muffins will last up to four days well wrapped at room temperature.