Orange sweet caramel sauce for topping ice cream
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat stir together orange juice, sugar, and corn syrup. Swirl the pan as the sugar begins to dissolve and the mixture begins to simmer.
- Keep a close eye on the mixture as it simmers and browns. No need to stir, just keep swirling the pan. The mixture will brown to a deep golden and begin to smell toasty.
- Remove from heat and quickly add butter and cream. The mixture will begin to seize a bit, but stir until incorporated and smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Allow to cool before tasting. Add more salt if desired.
- Drizzle warm caramel over vanilla ice cream. Top with chopped almonds or chopped praline pecans.
- Store in an airtight jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.