- 9 small and medium yellow onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, thinly sliced
- coarse sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- fresh rosemary sprigs
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the tops off of each onion, but leave most of the skins on the onion.
- Arrange the onions in a square baking dish or a rimmed sheet pan.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the onions. Place a thin pat of butter on each onion.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and top with a rosemary sprig.
- Bake for 25 minutes until bubbling and tender.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes until the onions are completely tender and the tops are browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the skins, slice and enjoy warm.