Homemade Crunchy Cat Treats
- 1 (5 ounce) canned pink salmon or tuna, no salt added and packed in water, drained
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon dried catnip
- *It’s easy to make your own oat flour. Simply grind old-fashioned oats in a spice grinder (or a super clean coffee grinder) until it is transformed into a light powder. There you have it — oat flour!
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, combine drained salmon or tuna, oat flour, egg, olive oil and catnip. Pulse until mixture comes together. Bits of fish and dry food will remain but the mixture will easily form into small balls. It will be thick but pliable and not terribly sticky.
- Roll dough into 1/2 teaspoon balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Use a fork to press marks into each cookie ball.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until they are dried on top and slightly browned. Allow to cool completely before offering to your kitty.
- Place treats in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to seven days.