- 2 sheets square shaped, all butter puff pastry (I like Dufour)
- all-purpose flour for dusting the counter
- 9 small slices cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- fresh cracked black pepper
- chives for topping (optional)
- canola oil for frying
- Allow the puff pastry to come to a cool room temperature. Puff pastry can defrost in the refrigerator overnight or come to room temperature on the kitchen counter in about 30 minutes.
- Separate and unfold the puff pastry. Be careful not to tear the puff pastry as you unfold it.
- Place on a lightly floured work surface and gently roll with a rolling pin to extend the dough on all sides to about a 1/8-inch thickness. Roll the second puff pastry in the same way and set aside.
- Place slices on cheese on one piece of the rolled puff pastry. No need to cover the entire surface with cheese, just spread it across the rolled puff pastry.
- Spread the cheese topped puff pastry with just about 1 tablespoon of mustard.
- Add the second rolled sheet of puff pastry evenly on top of the cheese and mustard. Lightly press.
- Fold the right third of dough across the center, and the left third of dough across the center.
- The dough should still have a faint chill to it which will make it easier to roll. If the dough is too warm, place it in the fridge for about 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll dough out to a 1/3-inch thickness. Roll gently, being sure not to tear through the puff pastry and expose the cheese.
- Use two round biscuit cutters to cut the circles. The large round should be about 3-inches in diameter and the smaller round should be about 1-inch in diameter. Cut large circles of dough out and cut smaller circles out of the large circles. We’re going to fry all of it!
- In a large, heavy-bottom saucepan with a candy/fry thermometer attached to the side, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the donuts and holes in small batches, flipping one or twice, until the donuts are golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from the fryer and allow to rest on a sheet of paper towels.
- Continue to fry until all of the donuts and holes are golden.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard, honey, and pepper. Stir and lightly brush onto the warm donuts. Sprinkle with chives, if using. Enjoy immediately!