For the Fries
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- salt, lemon, cayenne pepper for sprinkling
For the Queso Cheese Dip
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced milk green chiles, juice reserved
- Halve, peel and slice the avocados into long spears, it’s okay if they vary in size. Place the avocados on a platter and drizzle with lime juice.
- In a small bowl beat eggs and together water. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl whisk flour and salt, chili powder, and cayenne.
- In a medium bowl, measure out panko crumbs, salt and pepper. Combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, you can set your breaded slices right on the sheet
- Dip the avocado slices lightly in the flour mixture, in the egg mixture, and finally panko crumbs.
- Clip a fry thermometer onto a medium heavy bottomed saucepan and heat oil to 375 degrees F. Using tongs, lower 6-8 avocado slices into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with a bit of salt.
- Bring the oil back up to 375 degrees before frying the next batch. Continue frying until all avocado slices are golden brown.
- Sprinkle all of the fried avocado with a dash of cayenne pepper and fresh lemon juice. Serve immediately with queso dip.
- To make the dip, place cheeses in a medium bowl, sprinkle with cornstarch, and toss to coat. Transfer cheese mixture to a medium saucepan over low heat and add milk.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is smooth and melted, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir chiles with reserved juices until well combined. Serve warm with avocado fries.