- 2 cups water
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- just over 1 pound of ripe plums (I used 9 medium purple plums), sliced into chunks, pits discarded
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vodka (optional)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped, shelled salted pistachios
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the sliced plum, a pinch of salt and stir. Allow to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the plums begin to soften and breakdown. You might even find that the skins separate from the flesh of the fruit. The sugar water will be tinted purple. That’s exactly right.
- Once the fruit is softened, remove from heat and transfer to a blender. You may need to do this in two batches but I managed it in one. Add the fruit and liquid to the blender, make sure the lid is secure, place a clean towel over the lid and blend until smooth.
- The mixture will still be hot. Place in the refrigerator (in the blender… why not?) until chilled through. Leaving it overnight to chill is best.
- When ready to churn, remove from the refrigerator and stir in the lime juice and vodka (if using). Follow your ice cream machine instructions to churn to a thick, soft, sorbet. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and allow to rest in the freezer for at least 4 hours before scooping and serving.
- Top with shelled, salted pistachios just before serving. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6