Brown Butter Chess Pie
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) cold salted Land O Lakes® European Style Super Premium Butter, cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoon cold buttermilk
For the Filling
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup salted Land O Lakes® European Style Super Premium Butter, melted until browned and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cold, cubed butter and, using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture. Quickly break the butter down into the flour mixture, some butter pieces will be the size of oat flakes, some will be the size of peas. Create a well in the mixture and pour in the cold buttermilk. Use a fork to bring to dough together. Try to moisten all of the flour bits. Add a bit more buttermilk if necessary, but you want to mixture to be shaggy and not outwardly wet.
- On a lightly floured work surface, dump out the dough mixture. It will be moist and shaggy. That’s perfect. Gently knead into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Allowing the dough to rest in the refrigerator will help rechill the butter and distribute the moisture.
- To roll out the pie crust, on a well floured surface, roll the crust 1/8 inch thick and about 12 inches in diameter. Transfer it to a pie pan. Trim the edge almost even with the edge of the pan Fold the edges under and crimp with your fingers or a fork. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of 3 hours.
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, rub together granulated sugar and lemon zest until sugar is fragrant. Whisk in the flour, cornmeal, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, or large liquid measuring cup, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, lemon, browned butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients, all at once, to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Place on a baking sheet and carefully place in the oven.
- Allow pie to bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the pie is browned and puffed and not jiggling in a wave.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before allowing to rest in the refrigerator. Pie is best served chilled.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream and sliced strawberries.