For the Sandwiches
- 4 (1/2 – 3/4 inch thick) slices brioche bread
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- canola oil for frying
For the Batter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons water
For the Coating
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, for topping
- To make the battery in a small bowl whisk together eggs, flour, milk, and water. The batter will have a drippy thickness, but try to whisk out most of the lumps. Set aside.
- Next, slice the brioche and cut off the crusts if you’d like. Dollop about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter into the center of two slices of bread. Top with about 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam. Top with the remaining pieces of brioche, and lightly press around the edges so the peanut butter and jam don’t seep out.
- In a medium and shallow bowl or plate, stir together sugar and cinnamon.
- In a medium saucepan, heat about 2 inches of canola oil. Use a fry thermometer to bring the oil up to 340 degrees F.
- Have a plate covered with paper towels and a wire rack ready.
- Working quickly, take a brioche sandwich and quickly dip it in the batter, baking sure to further press and seal the edges as they become moistened. Carefully lower the sandwich into the oil and cook for about 45 seconds on each side, or until golden. Remove the sandwich with a slotted spoon and place on the paper towels to drain for a few seconds. While still warm, flip into the cinnamon sugar mixture until coated on all sides. Serve immediately. They’re delicious warm!