Lemon Vanilla Cookie Krispie Treats
- Prep Time: 20
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 8
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 40 large marshmallows, 1 bag of large marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup crumbled vanilla sandwich cookies, divided
- coarse sea salt for topping
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Melt butter until is begins to crackle and sizzle. This means the water is cooking out of the butter and the butter will begin to brown. Add marshmallows and lemon zest to the melted butter just as it begins to brown and reduce heat to low. Add salt and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted, and the marshmallows and butter are thoroughly combined and smell lemony.
- Quickly add rice cereal and 3/4 cup of cookies and stir to combine. The mixture will be thick and sticky.
- Press the mixture into a 9-inch round greased pan. Use a greased piece of wax or parchment paper to firmly press the mixture into the pan. The krispies will be thick. Press the remaining crumbled cookie pieces into the top of the treats.
- Allow to rest at room temperature until set and sliceable. A refrigerator will make the setting process faster.
- Slice into 8 wedges and wrap individually. Treats will stay fresh for up to five days.