Comfort and warmth! Simple meatball and broth soup. Flavorful and delicious.
For the Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 box frozen spinach, thawed and water pressed out
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
For the Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 6 cups good chicken broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 – 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- salt (not very much) and pepper
- fresh parsley and shaved parmesan cheese, for serving
- To make the meatballs, place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl bowl combine ground chicken, thawed and pressed spinach, onion, garlic, mustard, lemon zest, salt, peppers, coriander, nutmeg, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Stir until just combined. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Add the egg mixture to the meat mixture and use your hands to incorporate well, breaking up the spinach and making sure that all of the ingredients are evenly mixed. Use a cookie scoop to scoop heaping tablespoonful balls onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Space balls about 1-inch apart on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Makes about 30 meatballs.
- Make the broth while the meatballs bake. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent and softened, about 6 minutes, stirring often. Add the sliced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more. Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, and lemon juice. Bring to a very low simmer.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To serve, spoon a small amount of rice into the bowl. Ladle in broth and meatballs. Sprinkle with parsley and cheese. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4